RFID wallets

Old December 12th 17, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Default RFID wallets

In article , Woody
wrote:

Hold a bright LED torch behind the card and you can see the chip - very
often in the lower right when the card is viewed from the front. A 2mm
drill through the chip will kill it completely.

Is it established that this does not invalidate the card or cause it to
cease working via contact?

My bank provided a non NFC card when I asked - but that was over a year
ago, it may be different now. I was told last week that ALL cards will
be NFC compliant by 2019, like it or not.

Example of the "free choice and competition" our banks are famed for
offering, eh?

Yes, I've been told, "contactless or bugger off" by banks. Odd. I'd though
we were their customers. But despite the crash, some things don't change it
seems.

I don't understand why it should not be possible to arrange the system
such that the first time you use the card and enter the PIN it asks if
the NFC is to be used. If it is not then the card is rejected when any
attempt is made to use it thereafter.

Because they want to ensure you have no choice *and* they can continue to
operate on the usual banking basis:

"Our system is perfect. If you have any problems it will be your fault. You
can't prove otherwise. So there."

I'm not convinced that bacofoil, etc, work, though. Anyone know of
measurements on this?