Sony Android TV's and screen mirroring?

Old December 11th 17, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

Default Sony Android TV's and screen mirroring?

Bravia 4K 2015, bought 2016, Screen Mirroring/Miracast not working right, I
think it was a recent firmware update caused it though it always seemed a
bit iffy. Laptop sees the TV and the desktop appears on TV but it seems to
freeze there, doing anything on laptop is not followed on TV. It may appear
5 minutes or more later but slow and jerky. Mobile phone which connected to
TV before now won't at all. Google Cast works OK and right click/send to TV
works but this is limited to certain file types. Have done all sorts of
troubleshooting and factory resets with no joy. Uses Android 6.01.
My daughter also recently bought a newer version Sony TV with Android 7.
Screen mirroring/Google cast/send to TV, none of the three works at all!
She has been in touch with Sony Support without any result.
Sony say Miracast is not guaranteed to work with all devices but I am using
devices which did work until they "updated" it and it's even worse on my
daughter's. BTW factory reset on these does not remove updates.
Anyone else having similar problems with Sony TV's, where do we stand
legally?

Kenny Cargill

Old December 11th 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'd also like to know if its Android it has Talkback one assumes, like the
phones do, if you switch this on do the tv menues and program guide etc
speak or have they made the app that does these tings inaccessible?

om...

Old December 11th 17, 09:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
I'd also like to know if its Android it has Talkback one assumes, like the
phones do, if you switch this on do the tv menues and program guide etc
speak or have they made the app that does these tings inaccessible?
BrianK

Didn't even know Talkback on TV existed but I checked and it's there, no
time now but will play around with it later and post back. K.

om...

Old December 11th 17, 10:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd also like to know if its Android it has Talkback one assumes, like the
phones do, if you switch this on do the tv menues and program guide etc
speak or have they made the app that does these tings inaccessible?

I thought I'd posted a youtube video for you showing it does just that?

Old December 11th 17, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Andy Burns wrote:

I thought I'd posted a youtube video for you showing it does just that?

Here it is, you should be able to follow from the sound only (ignore the
crackling from a fake TV log fire in the background)

https://youtu.be/Nnv8raphv28
Old December 12th 17, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, so its a Canadian person. What I'd really like to hear is if it works
here in the UK. iE standard off air program guide reading, and program
description and whether as its a smart tv, how it copes with the UK
players. From experience these usually fail miserably even on smart phones,
so if Sony has cracked it it would be good.
Also of course, is this Android operating system in use for non smart tvs,
so people of limited income can get a tv that speaks to them. its incredibly
difficult to find this sort of thing out as model numbers are changing all
the time and shops know nothing about accessibility at all.
Indeed they tend to want to just shift the last model to make way for the
new one with a similar but different part number. Several people have come
unstuck with Samsung tvs to my knowledge and had to return them as unusable
due to them being old stock.

Old December 12th 17, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd really like to hear is if it works here in the UK. iE standard
off air program guide reading, and program description and whether as
its a smart tv, how it copes with the UK players.

Got a John Lewis nearby? Ask for a demo, or to have a play.
Old December 12th 17, 11:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Kenny

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:

I thought I'd posted a youtube video for you showing it does just that?

Here it is, you should be able to follow from the sound only (ignore the
crackling from a fake TV log fire in the background)

https://youtu.be/Nnv8raphv28

Just tried it and it speaks menus, some controls eg: Vol + or -, but not
channel change. Couldn't find anything with subtitles to see if it speaks
them. Speaks titles in program guide, Youtube etc.
BTW who's in Canada? K.

Old December 12th 17, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Funnily enough I was thinking along these lines. If I can get a sighted
volunteer and use the good offices of our association, I'm quite happy to go
in after hours after xmas and try some of the models they have and record
the outcomes for putting on the media. Helps us, helps JL and hopefully
might last for at least 6 months before all new stuff comes along and
makes us have to do the whole bloody lot again!

Old December 12th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh and it absolutely needs to be able to speak the input selections as well,
as this is the issue on my current tv. i use it on a computer and some other
things if people come around but cannot select the input at all as its
totally silent.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 12:16:06 -0000, "Kenny" wrote:

[...]

Martin in Zuid Holland