Pontop Pike

Old December 7th 17, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Pontop Pike

I watched that programme last night, the one on BBC1 about the teenage
boy who seemed to be a girl in a boy's body. It was a very moving
programme, but that's beside the point.
There were lots of outdoor shots, and trying to be atmospheric and show
what a **** tip Co Durham is (when you're a meeja person) there were
shots of the huddled-together rooftops. I froze the frame a few times
and did a head count. 80% of the aerials were contract quality Group C/D
ones. This is going to be interesting in the coming years.

Old December 7th 17, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 21:43:08 UTC, wrote:
There were lots of outdoor shots, and trying to be atmospheric and show
what a **** tip Co Durham is (when you're a meeja person) there were
shots of the huddled-together rooftops. I froze the frame a few times
and did a head count. 80% of the aerials were contract quality Group C/D
ones. This is going to be interesting in the coming years.

Are those aerials still in use? Surely everyone in **** tips has upgraded to Sky Q by now.

Owain

Old December 8th 17, 06:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/12/2017 21:43, Bill Wright wrote:
I watched that programme last night, the one on BBC1 about the teenage
boy who seemed to be a girl in a boy's body. It was a very moving
programme, but that's beside the point.
There were lots of outdoor shots, and trying to be atmospheric and show
what a **** tip Co Durham is (when you're a meeja person) there were
shots of the huddled-together rooftops. I froze the frame a few times
and did a head count. 80% of the aerials were contract quality Group C/D
ones. This is going to be interesting in the coming years.

There are reports over in Winter Hill land, that an empty mux (one that
an auto channel scan will ignore) has popped up on Ch 32. Ch 32 from
2020 will be the home of the PSB 1 mux at Winter Hill, so someone
is thinking ahead about trouble (perhaps !)

--
Mark
Old December 8th 17, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Only we in the UK though have such odd names for where the transmitters
were. I can recall the 'biscuits' in old vhf tuners having different
colours and often felt tip transmitter names as well. like the one you
mention and Holme Moss etc, which in my young days I thought a bit bizarre.

news

Old December 8th 17, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

You have to be joking? Where do they get the money for Sky?

In fact I can well remember back in those halcyon days when only bbc2 was on
UHF a cheap contract wideband UHF array was bought, shoved on about a ten
foot pole on the corner of my shed and during tropo events German TV could
be seen, with no sound of course.

The construction eventually fell to bits mainly due to the use of jointed
tube for the dipole and water got into the insulator that way.

Old December 8th 17, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 08/12/2017 03:27, Bill Wright wrote:
Most people who use Sky also have an aerial, so they have an alternative.

Or perhaps because it will cost money to have an unused aerial taken down, and they just wait for a passing storm to do the work for them?

One sees quite a lot of aerials leaning at very odd angles which are probably no longer in use. My guess is that they have partly survived one storm but are waiting for another one to complete the job.

--
Clive Page
Old December 8th 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Then there was the old joke from the early days....

What do you find on the back of every satellite dish?
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

A Council house

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 8th 17, 02:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/12/2017 11:28, Clive Page wrote:
On 08/12/2017 03:27, Bill Wright wrote:
Most people who use Sky also have an aerial, so they have an alternative.

Or perhaps because it will cost money to have an unused aerial taken
down, and they just wait for a passing storm to do the work for them?

One sees quite a lot of aerials leaning at very odd angles which are
probably no longer in use.* My guess is that they have partly survived
one storm but are waiting for another one to complete the job.

It's very true that broken aerials tend to be left. Mostly though it's
because they still work OK, due to the DSO effective power increase and
the immunity of DTT to multipath. There are a lot of very dangerous
aerial left hanging. I don't like to walk on town pavements.

Old December 8th 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 08/12/2017 11:28, Clive Page wrote:
On 08/12/2017 03:27, Bill Wright wrote:
Most people who use Sky also have an aerial, so they have an
alternative.

Or perhaps because it will cost money to have an unused aerial taken
down, and they just wait for a passing storm to do the work for them?

One sees quite a lot of aerials leaning at very odd angles which are
probably no longer in use. My guess is that they have partly survived
one storm but are waiting for another one to complete the job.

It's very true that broken aerials tend to be left. Mostly though it's
because they still work OK, due to the DSO effective power increase and
the immunity of DTT to multipath. There are a lot of very dangerous aerial
left hanging. I don't like to walk on town pavements.

The guy opposite use had a truncated aerial for many years: just the
directors at 45 degrees and almost no horizontal rod with dipoles (*). I
know we live in a good signal area (about 80 dBuv/m) but I can't imagine his
reception will have been too good :-) He's since had it replaced, so
evidently it wasn't good enough or he'd have left it.

(*) Like the handle of a sword with almost all the blade missing.