Things you miss on tv when you cannot see.

Old December 7th 17, 08:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Things you miss on tv when you cannot see.

Funny I was just thinking the same, I expect the risk evaluation was not
very promising, after all she could get her arm off get the job and then be
poached by ITV and they have wasted all that money in cutting her arm off!

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 07/12/2017 17:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:

There was a bit of a fuss when the BBC recruited her as they set out to
find somebody with a visible disability even if they knew nothing about
weather.

That's a bit stupid. Why didn't they find a meteorologist and tell them
they could have the job if they'd have their arm cut off?

Old December 7th 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, as I say, for all I knew she had an arm, it was not until somebody
told me she did not that I knew.

I'm sure you are aware that the BBC USA Bloke is severely visually impaired.
he has a wonderful voice and a very good interviewing style. I do wonder how
he achieves it as normally one needs to observe faces and body language when
interviewing.

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 15:26:51 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Apparently the lady presenting the weather the other night only had
one arm. I'd never have known from the voice...:-)

Actually, she has complete left arm and her right arm has been
amputated just below the elbow, at least that's how it appears. You can
see when she attempts to lift her right forearm, but only an inch or so
is there to move.
Now she has been on a few times, I find it is getting less distracting.

--
Davey.

Old December 7th 17, 09:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 17:14:31 UTC, Jeff Gaines wrote:
There was a bit of a fuss when the BBC recruited her as they set out to
find somebody with a visible disability even if they knew nothing about
weather.

It's the inverse of Babestation where the, um, participants might have a PhD in Meteorology and elocution like Dame Judi Dench but only get the job if they've got knockers like two pumpkins being juggled by a hyperactive ferret.

That's something else you miss on TV when you cannot see.

Owain

Old December 7th 17, 10:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 07/12/2017 21:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
Funny I was just thinking the same, I expect the risk evaluation was not
very promising, after all she could get her arm off get the job and then be
poached by ITV and they have wasted all that money in cutting her arm off!

I wonder whether any able-bodied athletes have toyed with the idea of
having their lower legs amputated so they can compete in the Paralympics?

--
Max Demian
Old December 7th 17, 10:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
The person that makes me laugh though I gather she does not mind is the lady
continuity announcer who I think Ch 4 have used with a problem with her
speech where an unrelated word will get mixed in with the script she is
reading.

That would be Jess Thom. Also known for "biscuits" and a dislike of lamp-posts,
as well as having Tourette's.

about the sex trade in Beetle
Hamburg.

The Beatles (the other spelling) did get up to some stuff in Hamburg, that
could be just a Freudian slip ...

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk
Old December 8th 17, 12:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 21:14:12 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I'm sure you are aware that the BBC USA Bloke is severely visually
impaired. he has a wonderful voice and a very good interviewing
style. I do wonder how he achieves it as normally one needs to
observe faces and body language when interviewing.
Brian

Yes, he does a very good job indeed.

--
Davey.
Old December 8th 17, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 07/12/2017 in message Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/12/2017 17:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:

There was a bit of a fuss when the BBC recruited her as they set out to
find somebody with a visible disability even if they knew nothing about
weather.

That's a bit stupid. Why didn't they find a meteorologist and tell them
they could have the job if they'd have their arm cut off?

I think the BBC were concerned that people might feel they wanted to work
for the BBC, but not if it cost them an arm and a leg.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Old December 8th 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mike" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
The person that makes me laugh though I gather she does not mind is the
lady
continuity announcer who I think Ch 4 have used with a problem with her
speech where an unrelated word will get mixed in with the script she is
reading.

That would be Jess Thom. Also known for "biscuits" and a dislike of
lamp-posts,
as well as having Tourette's.

There comes a time when you have to admit that a person with that sort of
speech tic might not be best suited to a job where they have to give
understandable continuity announcements and fit these into a very restricted
time slot between programmes and adverts.

I remember my grandparents railing against ITN in the 1970s when they
employed a female reporter with a bad s-lisp - ironically her name had
several instances of the letter S in it, all of which she couldn't thay
properly. Likewise for Bwian Walden on Weekend World.

Nowadays there is much less stigma to something like that. Tourettes must be
a difficult one if you never know what word is going to slip out -especially
if every now and again it's a naughty one :=)

Old December 8th 17, 08:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
It was meant to be a pun. I'm glad somebody spotted it. We also have a
game in the blind world if that actually exists. Black or not.
I'm sure you can guess what its about. Politically incorrect but who
cares?

I try to work out what people on the radio or the other end of a phone call
might look like. I'm stunningly bad at it. I remember at work I used to deal
with a woman in the Dublin office and after a few conversations I idly
speculated what she might look like. Her voice and her vocal mannerisms made
me think that she was "fat, forty and frumpy". A few months later I had to
go over to the Dublin office and I was met by my contact there and taken
back to the office and introduced to various people. As I was chatting to
one of them, I heard a familiar voice behind me say "Hello. Nice to meet you
at last". And I turned round... and she was anything but fat, forty and
frumpy - she was tall, blonde, slender and very attractive. I apparently
stared open-mouthed at her for several seconds before I could say anything
:-)

I try not to do imagine what people look like now, because I know I'm crap
at it.

Old December 8th 17, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 08/12/2017 09:50, NY wrote:

I try to work out what people on the radio or the other end of a phone call
might look like. I'm stunningly bad at it.

To be fair, sometimes the voice doesn't convey everything.

From one place I worked at, I used to phone a contact in a distant
office. He had an English sounding name but spoke with a distinct
Indian accent. These days you would place him in a call centre but such
things didn't exist then.

When I eventually met him, he was white, middle-aged and he told me he
was born in Sussex. The reason for his accent was that his father, also
English, took a job in India that came with a house and staff, and he as
a 9-month old child was placed in the care of an Indian nanny. He lived
there until he was nearly 5, by which time his nanny's accent was firmly
ingrained in him and he never lost it, despite UK schooling and many
years of employment in the UK.