Blue Planet II Comes To iPlayer In 4K HDR

Old December 8th 17, 08:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

Default Blue Planet II Comes To iPlayer In 4K HDR

On 06/12/2017 09:51, aa wrote:
On 05/12/2017 21:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Pinnerite wrote:

What sort of download speed is this going to need?

Judging from the Astra/SES UHD streams (which are 4K but AFAIK not
HDR) they seem to peak about 11Mbps according to VLC, so a bit higher
than that I presume.

What basically is the difference between iPlayer and Netflix, whereby
Netflix needs an internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or
higher for UHD?

Blu-ray runs in the 30s. Maybe the codecs are a little better - but only
a little. 11Mbit isn't much higher than DVD. It'll have artefacts. Which
people like us have been trained to see

Andy
Old December 9th 17, 06:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aa[_6_]

Pinnerite wrote:

What sort of download speed is this going to need?

Judging from the Astra/SES UHD streams (which are 4K but AFAIK not
HDR) they seem to peak about 11Mbps according to VLC, so a bit higher
than that I presume.

What basically is the difference between iPlayer and Netflix, whereby
Netflix needs an internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second
or higher for UHD?

Blu-ray runs in the 30s. Maybe the codecs are a little better - but only
a little. 11Mbit isn't much higher than DVD. It'll have artefacts. Which
people like us have been trained to see

Andy

Thanks. I too feel your pain. :-(

--
aa
Old December 10th 17, 06:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aa[_6_]

On 05/12/2017 21:24, Pinnerite wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42225220

"The BBC's Blue Planet II programme is to become its first TV series to
be made available in 4K resolution and high dynamic range (HDR) colour
via its iPlayer catch-up service.

All seven episodes of the marine-themed show are being made available to
UK-based owners of select TVs.

Until now, the BBC had only released programmes in this format via
ultra-high definition (UHD) Blu-ray discs."

But what they don't say is whether the dynamic compression management
system employed on iPlayer's servers will allow end-users to download
the programmes without them being ruined by over compression at download
time.

What sort of download speed is this going to need?

According to a516digital, 23Mbps. "The broadband speed needed to get the
most out of Blue Planet II in UHD. Users on less may still benefit from
improved quality."

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/12/b...net-ii-in.html

--
aa
Old December 11th 17, 06:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Java Jive wrote:

[...]

Well, I watched the first 10 minutes on iPlayer at 4K last night.
Faultless and very impressive picture. Absolutely no buffering or
hesitation. I get about 11MB here, so was I watching in 4K or not?
Unfortunately I can't get (or don't know how to get) the technical
details of what I was watching on my Panasonic "Smart" TV.

--

Jeff
Old December 11th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aa[_6_]

Java Jive wrote:

[...]

I get similar download speed but did experience short bouts of buffering
and the occasional freeze every 15 minutes or so with the UHD option,
also on a Panasonic smart tv. Picture quality was very good though I
didn't get the impression it was significantly better than the standard
iPlayer programme version. Methinks a switch to Medium Fibre where I
should hopefully achieve nearer 35Mbps download may be called for.

--
aa
Old December 11th 17, 05:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
aa[_6_]

Java Jive wrote:

[...]

On comparing standard (HD) with UHD options just now with the same
programme material, the UHD option does actually seem slightly brighter
and more colourful, so even peeps with less than ideal download speed
would seemingly benefit from some improvement in quality.

--
aa
Old December 11th 17, 07:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 11/12/2017 18:54, aa wrote:
On 11/12/2017 18:02, aa wrote:
[...]

Am I alone in thinking that the subject matter being broadcast is more
important than the accuracy with which fronds of seaweed are displayed
on-screen?

I would be happy to watch good programmes in SD.

Old December 11th 17, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163470/ :-)

--

Jeff

Old December 12th 17, 05:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Blue Planet had a few lies in it.