BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

Old December 13th 17, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

Default BBC Scotland - scope for confusion?

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
That happens a lot due largely to dispensing fees pain by the NHS.

The big problem in recent years has become the way the drugs companies keep
'gaming' the 'availability' of drugs and 'reassessing' their price.

So they decide to stop making a given drug, allowing the supply to dry up.
Then reluctantly consider re-starting if bribed by a much higher NHS price.
Or simply jack up the price - sometimes by orders of magnitude. To levels
that bear no relationship to the development or production costs. Even when
they by their own behaviour pre-inflated those costs.

Leechs continue to play a part in medicine.

Old December 13th 17, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 13/12/2017 09:49, Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
wrote:

Pricing will have to change, and that will depend on supply/demand.

The snag being that openreach are almost a monopoly supplier in the
relevant areas for the required terrestrial broadband network.

Jim

Yes, but what can be done about it? We've had years of free market
conditions (thanks to the beloved Margaret) but no real signs of even a
duopoly in backbone communications.

Old December 13th 17, 10:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Vir Campestris [email protected]
invalid.invalid scribeth thus
On 11/12/2017 15:26, The Other Mike wrote:
Meanwhile those in England, millions of them dispersed across urban and rural
often see this message on the openreach fibre checker (and have done for

years)

'We are exploring solutions'

Sounds familiar.

Nothing happened until someone started exploring alternative solutions.
We'd got to the stage of collecting money, and placing an order with BT
(the only supplier )for a fibre to a nearby point for our wireless
system. Suddenly by sheer coincidence BT were able to install our system
that they had been slipping year on year.

Andy

Wireless system?, was that Air broadband by any chance?.
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 17, 10:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , S Viemeister
scribeth thus
On 12/11/2017 7:57 AM, Java Jive wrote:

Having said that, if you read the Political Background section of my
submission, it does seem that long-term Scottish Government plans are
rather more ambitious than the wider UK's, though many of us in the
Highlands are concerned that in the end what will happen in reality is
that we get given vouchers for subsidised satellite connections just so
the 100% coverage figure can be claimed to have been achieved by 2021.

Several of the people along the road from us (western side of the Kyle
of Tongue), have gone to satellite - working from home can be next to
impossible without a decent internet connection.

Not that satellite is a decent connection but better than nothing.

4 G any good there at all?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 13th 17, 11:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 12/13/2017 6:14 PM, tony sayer wrote:
In article , S Viemeister
scribeth thus
On 12/11/2017 7:57 AM, Java Jive wrote:

Having said that, if you read the Political Background section of my
submission, it does seem that long-term Scottish Government plans are
rather more ambitious than the wider UK's, though many of us in the
Highlands are concerned that in the end what will happen in reality is
that we get given vouchers for subsidised satellite connections just so
the 100% coverage figure can be claimed to have been achieved by 2021.

Several of the people along the road from us (western side of the Kyle
of Tongue), have gone to satellite - working from home can be next to
impossible without a decent internet connection.

Not that satellite is a decent connection but better than nothing.

4 G any good there at all?..

EE seem to be attempting to install 4g. There are a few places where it
is occasionally available - in front of the Post Office, in the front
bedroom of the flat upstairs, and one of my cousins claims to sometimes
get a 4g signal. Unfortunately, EE's service frequently goes down.
Old December 14th 17, 02:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 13/12/2017 23:14, tony sayer wrote:
In article , S Viemeister
scribeth thus
On 12/11/2017 7:57 AM, Java Jive wrote:

Having said that, if you read the Political Background section of my
submission, it does seem that long-term Scottish Government plans are
rather more ambitious than the wider UK's, though many of us in the
Highlands are concerned that in the end what will happen in reality is
that we get given vouchers for subsidised satellite connections just so
the 100% coverage figure can be claimed to have been achieved by 2021.

Several of the people along the road from us (western side of the Kyle
of Tongue), have gone to satellite - working from home can be next to
impossible without a decent internet connection.

Not that satellite is a decent connection but better than nothing.

4 G any good there at all?..

I'm very happy with my 4G via wifi. A ten quid dongle shoved in the
front of the PC and I have 18Mbps compared to 0.2 to 1.9Mbps.

Old December 14th 17, 02:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Wright wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

4 G any good there at all?..

A ten quid dongle shoved in the front of the PC and I have 18Mbps
compared to 0.2 to 1.9Mbps.

Bargain. The cool kids call such dongles "MiFi".
Old December 14th 17, 08:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
Yes, but what can be done about it? We've had years of free market
conditions (thanks to the beloved Margaret) but no real signs of even a
duopoly in backbone communications.

IIRC Government does have the power to force company that is a (virtual)
monopoly to spilt up into distinct companies to make competition more to
their advantage. But it has taken *decades* just to start weakening the
domination of BT over openreach. So the real problem is the lack of
willingness of Goverment to face up to its rich mates and enforce the
required changes.

Old December 14th 17, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 14/12/2017 03:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

4 G any good there at all?..

A ten quid dongle shoved in the front of the PC and I have 18Mbps
compared to 0.2 to 1.9Mbps.

Bargain.* The cool kids call such dongles "MiFi".

Well I'm a cool kid so I shall adopt that terminology.

Old December 14th 17, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2017 03:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

4 G any good there at all?..

A ten quid dongle shoved in the front of the PC and I have 18Mbps
compared to 0.2 to 1.9Mbps.

Bargain. The cool kids call such dongles "MiFi".

Well I'm a cool kid so I shall adopt that terminology.

Don't think the term mi-fi is being correctly applied here - or have I
missed summat?

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com