Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sky q and freesat (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36426)

sintv[_2_] November 28th 17 05:32 PM

Sky q and freesat

Sky are changing everyone to Skyq and this should be done by 5 years or so. If a customer stops subscribing the Skyq box must be returned so a customer wont be able to put his SkyHD box back in as LNB is wideband - unless a hybrid LNB was fitted. In any case once everyone has Skyq, there will be no use for the SkyHD transponders so they will be turned off so you'll have to get a Humax(eg)box to get on the freesat platform.

Or am I missing something...

Andy Burns[_12_] November 28th 17 05:45 PM

Sky q and freesat

sintv wrote:

once everyone has Skyq, there will be no use for the SkyHD
transponders so they will be turned off so you'll have to get a
Humax(eg)box to get on the freesat platform.
Or am I missing something...

I don't think there are "Q" transponders and "HD" transponders, it's
just that a Q LNB/Box doesn't need to switch between four combinations
of high/low band and horz/vert polarisation.

The LNB has one output for the whole horz band and another for the whole
vert band.

R. Mark Clayton[_2_] November 28th 17 06:56 PM

Sky q and freesat

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 18:45:25 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
sintv wrote:

once everyone has Skyq, there will be no use for the SkyHD
transponders so they will be turned off so you'll have to get a
Humax(eg)box to get on the freesat platform.
Or am I missing something...

I don't think there are "Q" transponders and "HD" transponders, it's
just that a Q LNB/Box doesn't need to switch between four combinations
of high/low band and horz/vert polarisation.

The LNB has one output for the whole horz band and another for the whole
vert band.

Indeed - it is a sort of lock in.

Quite soon they will use fibre optic in the mass market and this does all four blocks in one go.

Brian Gaff November 28th 17 07:24 PM

Sky q and freesat

So does this in fact mean then that one can now get such lnbs and is there
anything out there box wise that can use them?

Andy Burns[_12_] November 28th 17 07:51 PM

Sky q and freesat

Brian Gaff wrote:

So does this in fact mean then that one can now get such lnbs

You can get the two output sky Q LNBs on eBay, and also six output ones,
which have the wideband horz and vert outputs, plus quad universal
outputs which require the voltage/tone switching.

Other manufacturers make wideband LNBs too, it's an ASTRA spec.

and is there anything out there box wise that can use them?

I've not heard of domestic wideband boxes other than sky's, there are
distribution systems that use them and apparently pro receivers.

Mark Carver December 9th 17 03:30 PM

Sky q and freesat

On 28/11/2017 20:51, Andy Burns wrote:

Other manufacturers make wideband LNBs too, it's an ASTRA spec.

I've just taken an analyser round to our lad's brand new flat, to test
his UHF and D-Sat outlets. All fine, H and V, Hi and Lo etc available
from both sets of D-Sat outlets, but the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5k3g0jlj1...27.25.jpg?dl=0

--
Mark

Peter Duncanson December 9th 17 04:58 PM

Sky q and freesat

On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 16:30:25 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 28/11/2017 20:51, Andy Burns wrote:

Other manufacturers make wideband LNBs too, it's an ASTRA spec.

I've just taken an analyser round to our lad's brand new flat, to test
his UHF and D-Sat outlets. All fine, H and V, Hi and Lo etc available
from both sets of D-Sat outlets, but the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

Four cables in a single outer sheath, perhaps:

https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/...nbstripped.jpg

From:
https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/satellitecable.htm

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Andy Burns[_12_] December 9th 17 07:12 PM

Sky q and freesat

Mark Carver wrote:

the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

There are LNBs (for dist systems) that "stack" the whole Hi-H, Lo-H,
Hi-V, Lo-V band onto a single fibre

https://www.gionlineshop.com/product_detail.php?code=F926013&product=gi-fibreirs-wholeband-lnb&sm=4

Then after distribution over fobre you get boxes that split it out again
to look like a quad/quattro output per flat

Mark Carver December 10th 17 10:12 AM

Sky q and freesat

On 09/12/2017 20:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

There are LNBs (for dist systems) that "stack" the whole Hi-H, Lo-H,
Hi-V, Lo-V band onto a single fibre

https://www.gionlineshop.com/product_detail.php?code=F926013&product=gi-fibreirs-wholeband-lnb&sm=4

Then after distribution over fobre you get boxes that split it out again
to look like a quad/quattro output per flat

Yes, someone else has also come up with the same thing

https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/optical_lnb.htm

That's it I think. Coo. What a pad, he's also got FTTP internet, gubbins
already in place, and happy lights are on. BT Engineer coming
a week Monday to commission (I'll be there, like a praying mantis, ready
to pounce !)

--
Mark