Sky q and freesat

Old December 15th 17, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Sky q and freesat

"sintv" wrote in message
Sky are changing everyone to Skyq and this should be done by 5 years or
so.

so Sky are going to pay for the communal system in our block to have a new
multi-user distribution system because of their single customer, are they?

because as a freesat viewer I certainly am not going to contribute to it

tim

Old December 15th 17, 04:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 10 December 2017 11:12:42 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:
On 09/12/2017 20:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

the LNB on the master dish only
appears (from the ground) to have only one output. How does that work
then ?!

There are LNBs (for dist systems) that "stack" the whole Hi-H, Lo-H,
Hi-V, Lo-V band onto a single fibre

https://www.gionlineshop.com/product_detail.php?code=F926013&product=gi-fibreirs-wholeband-lnb&sm=4

Then after distribution over fobre you get boxes that split it out again
to look like a quad/quattro output per flat

Yes, someone else has also come up with the same thing

https://www.satellitesuperstore.com/optical_lnb.htm

That's it I think. Coo. What a pad, he's also got FTTP internet, gubbins
already in place, and happy lights are on. BT Engineer coming
a week Monday to commission (I'll be there, like a praying mantis, ready
to pounce !)

The fibre LNB's have been around for a while, and I notice the price has come down! They still need DC power.

http://www.globalinvacom.com/products/lnbs
make them.

You can order from them directly (I bought a quad C120 LNB off them some years ago).

There are several advantages of using an optical solution - thin [cheap] cable, easy split, long runs (e.g. between blocks) possible, greater resistance to water ingress etc. etc.

They do a user end compatible with Sky Q: -

https://www.gionlineshop.com/Downloa...0%20-%2001.pdf

--
Mark

Old December 15th 17, 04:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 15 December 2017 16:07:45 UTC, tim... wrote:
"sintv" wrote in message
Sky are changing everyone to Skyq and this should be done by 5 years or
so.

so Sky are going to pay for the communal system in our block to have a new
multi-user distribution system because of their single customer, are they?

because as a freesat viewer I certainly am not going to contribute to it

tim

See separate branch on optical system, which can have conventional or $kyQ user outputs.
Old December 16th 17, 12:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"sintv" wrote in message
Sky are changing everyone to Skyq and this should be done by 5 years or
so.

so Sky are going to pay for the communal system in our block to have a
new
multi-user distribution system because of their single customer, are
they?

because as a freesat viewer I certainly am not going to contribute to it

tim

See separate branch on optical system, which can have conventional or $kyQ
user outputs.

I understand that there are boxes that can do both

but someone still has to pay for that box (and I assume they cost an order
of magnitude more than a new LNB)

tim

Old December 24th 17, 10:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew Rowland[_2_]

On Friday, 15 December 2017 16:07:45 UTC, tim... wrote:

so Sky are going to pay for the communal system in our block to have a new
multi-user distribution system because of their single customer, are they?

because as a freesat viewer I certainly am not going to contribute to it

tim

No, it would be too expensive to convert every flat to Sky Q, so the general method in blocks of flats is to add a dSCR switch alongside the existing system with enough capacity to convert SOME of the outlets if residents ask for it. In other words, landlords can add in the switches if they are required and leave most of the flats on the existing feeds (and perhaps only charge the people who want it).