Bitrates

Old October 17th 17, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

Default Bitrates

On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 12:35:11 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
What bitrate are they?

1700kbps

by comparison, several iPlayer catchup streams used 1280x720 at 5166kbps
and, unsurprisingly, looked considerably better at full screen.

ITV? no idea ...

How do you measure them Andy?

Tony

Old October 17th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

several iPlayer catchup streams used 1280x720 at 5166kbps

How do you measure them Andy?

For iPlayer, right click the video in the browser and it tells you the
bitrate and resolution, less detail than youtube's "stats for nerds" though.
Old October 17th 17, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

How do you measure them Andy?

For iPlayer, right click the video in the browser and it tells you the
bitrate and resolution, less detail than youtube's "stats for nerds" though.

Thanks Andy,

How would you see the info on a tv running from a Firestick?

Nothing to right click !!

Tony

Old October 17th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

How would you see the info on a tv running from a Firestick?

With a "normal" home network router/switch that would generally be tricky.

If you have something that can monitor your router's traffic (e.g.
DSLstats or RouterStats) you might be able to see it, provided nothing
else is using much bandwidth at the time ...
Old October 17th 17, 01:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 1:47:16 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
TonyGamble wrote:

How would you see the info on a tv running from a Firestick?

With a "normal" home network router/switch that would generally be tricky.

If you have something that can monitor your router's traffic (e.g.
DSLstats or RouterStats) you might be able to see it, provided nothing
else is using much bandwidth at the time ...

Thanks Andy,

I'd ideally use an app on my Android tablet but neither of those are listed so I need to look a bit deeper.

I have already improved my Firestick performance by moving some of my Devolo home plug wifi signals to different channels. My upstairs neighbor seems to have some pretty powerful kit.

Old October 17th 17, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

If you have something that can monitor your router's traffic (e.g.
DSLstats or RouterStats)

I'd ideally use an app on my Android tablet

No they're not android apps. If your router happens to have an
unusually good web interface it might show you traffic, what model is it?
Old October 17th 17, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
TonyGamble

If your router happens to have an
unusually good web interface it might show you traffic, what model is it?

I am with BT Fibre

BTHub5-RPJX

Old October 17th 17, 03:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

TonyGamble wrote:

Andy Burns wrote

If your router happens to have an unusually good web interface it
might show you traffic, what model is it?

I am with BT Fibre BTHub5-RPJX

With the official firmware nothing doing, I'm afraid.

As it happens I also use a HH5a, but with custom firmware and it does
show graphs, but installing the firmware involves opening the case,
soldering fine wires, booting it over a serial cable and flashing
firmware over ethernet ...

Old October 17th 17, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Vir Campestris [email protected]
invalid.invalid scribeth thus
... a thought from the other thread.

Now that DTV is getting bitrate squeezed enough to be annoying, and we
don't want a satellite dish on our thatched roof - are the live BBC/ITV
streams good enough to be watchable? What bitrate are they?

Andy

You don't have to put it on the roof we've got ours at ground level at
the bottom of the garden and long as they can see the satellite thats
all that matters
--
Tony Sayer

Old December 9th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Monday, 16 October 2017 21:06:07 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I think the difference is live channels vs on-demand programmes.

Not on BBC2 and BBC News: both delivered 720p *live* while BBC1 didn't.
Same is true now - with BBC4 *live* also 720p.

I must admit, I checked several catch-up programmes, but only BBC1 as a
live channel, assuming they'd use their best rate for it ...

The live BBC1 Region streams are in SD. The live BBC1 Nation streams are in HD. At the bottom left hand corner of the Iplayer screen is 'Change Location'. Change 'Yorkshire' or whatever to 'England' and you will get a live HD stream for BBC1.