[OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets

Old October 5th 17, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default [OT] Dual-Gang switched 13A + USB sockets

I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some old
double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets.

Some are described as Switched USB Socket 13A 2-gang + 2 USB.

Can I assume that the USB sockets on these are actually switched and carry
no current until a plug is inserted?

If you have any experience of these things I would appreciate the benefit of
your know-how.

Old October 5th 17, 09:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some
old
double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets.

Some are described as Switched USB Socket 13A 2-gang + 2 USB.

Can I assume that the USB sockets on these are actually switched and
carry
no current until a plug is inserted?

If you have any experience of these things I would appreciate the
benefit of
your know-how.

The USB sockets are permanently powered, the switches only operate on
the 13A outlets.

Also note that you will need at least a 35mm box to carry one of these
outlets as they are rather thicker. If your installation does not have
this depth of box then you may have to get spacer collars to fit
between the socket and the wall although they are a bit like rocking
horse **** to find. You will of course also need longer screws whether
you use the spacer or not.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old October 6th 17, 06:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes and I hate this idea, looks to me like an accident waiting to happen.
Tiny switch mode psus kicking out crud all the time and one large mains
spike and goodness knows what is going to be coming out of that usb.

"Woody" wrote in message
news

news

Old October 7th 17, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 06 Oct 2017 22:07:08 +0100, pamela wrote:

Yes and I hate this idea, looks to me like an accident waiting
to happen. Tiny switch mode psus kicking out crud all the time
and one large mains spike and goodness knows what is going to be
coming out of that usb.

Brian

In addition to that, if you have a dozen of these mains powered
USB sockets then the power consumption may not be trivial for a
year.

Also, the USB charging sockets in 13A wall panels are likely to be
generic 5V sources, so if your phone/tablet/etc can use one of the
fast charging methods (e.g. Qualcom Quickcharge 3) where the charger
increases the voltage, you won't have the advantage of this.

My Samsung phone, for example, charges at about 14W in fast charge
mode, but around 5 to 7W from a bog standard charger, and of course
only around 2W when plugged into a computer, so it's an advantage well
worth having. IMHO, it's best to use proper chargers designed for the
job and plug them into the mains as necessary.

Rod.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old October 9th 17, 12:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 07 Oct 2017 09:27:22 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

[...]

All excellent reasons not to bother with such retro and obsolescent
(soon to go the way of the Dodo and optical media technology), especially
when you can buy plug in 1 and 1.2A 5v USB wallwarts in Pound shops with
standby consumption figures of less than 50mW each.

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 9th 17, 12:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On 07:58 6 Oct 2017, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes and I hate this idea, looks to me like an accident waiting to
happen. Tiny switch mode psus kicking out crud all the time and one
large mains spike and goodness knows what is going to be coming out of
that usb.

Brian

In addition to that, if you have a dozen of these mains powered USB
sockets then the power consumption may not be trivial for a year.

If they're based on those Black Signalex 1.2A USB chargers sold in
Poundland it *will* be trivial. :-)

A dozen of these are unlikely to add more than a quid a year to the
annual electricity bill going by the lack of even so much as a twitch of
the needle on my trusty Metrawatt analogue watt meter on the 100W (mirror
backed) scale (100vac / 1A range combination) when closely scrutinised
with a jeweller’s loupe during the switch off transient[1].

By my reckoning, it seems that Signalex have managed to get the standby
consumption below the 50mW mark which I find a rather impressive result
for such wallwart technology. IME, the standby consumption has typically
ranged over the 100 to 500mW mark with similarly power rated smpsu based
wallwarts made during the last decade.

[1] I see a brief 2 or 3 watt transient reading when switching on due to
the HT smoothing cap inrush current which proves the meter can register
this transient ok but this has no bearing on the steady state consumption
of which the only chance of I have of accurately detecting is to look for
the slight movement of the pointer when switching the mains supply *off*.

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 9th 17, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 12:20:48 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 01:16 9 Oct 2017, Johnny B Good wrote:

[...]

Yes, I once had a meter like that but its readings were rubbish at
very low levels. ;-)

There, fixed your post for you. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old October 6th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 5 October 2017 22:21:44 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some
old
double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets.

Some are described as Switched USB Socket 13A 2-gang + 2 USB.

Can I assume that the USB sockets on these are actually switched and
carry
no current until a plug is inserted?

If you have any experience of these things I would appreciate the
benefit of
your know-how.

The USB sockets are permanently powered, the switches only operate on
the 13A outlets.

Are they?

I rather hoped the better ones only powered the socket when the shield was lifted.

Old October 6th 17, 06:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Pinnerite wrote:

I need to partially rewire my apartment. I am tempted to replace some old
double-switched sockets with those that incorporate USB sockets.

How often do mains sockets typically need replacing 40-50 years maybe?

How often do USB power supply specs change (500mA, 1A, 2A, 3A, etc etc)
every 2 years maybe?
Old October 6th 17, 07:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes and of course everyone is going toward these smaller usbs now. Nothing
stays the same.
I'd not give one the time of day, personally. The wall wart can be
exchanged. I'd like to perhaps see a wall wart with a usb and perhaps a home
hub type control. I'd not like this sort of stuff to be in my wall and
needing work on the house wiring to replace.