Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Polaroid (ASDA) TVs (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36274)

AnthonyL August 24th 17 11:47 AM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

R. Mark Clayton[_2_] August 24th 17 12:21 PM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On Thursday, 24 August 2017 12:47:54 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

Plug I saw indicated no Freeview HD, but elsewhere suggests it has it. Asda site hopeless for spec' details.

Brian Gaff August 24th 17 05:55 PM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Polaroid is just another name these days.
I'm not sure who is making them. the time to start worrying is when you get
a Heinz tv.

johnt August 24th 17 09:07 PM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
......but 299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

--
JohnT

Ian Field August 24th 17 09:15 PM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

A lot of cheap supermarket stuff is made by Vestel.

Search for service info on the model number and you usually find out.

Roderick Stewart[_3_] August 25th 17 09:35 AM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
mostly nothing to do with film at all. Most large retail places
nowadays have a name they just seem to have stuck on a lot of products
to make them their own brand by implying they all come from one
trusted source. In reality, my understanding is that they just come
from whichever Chinese sweatshop happens to be free this week, so
these "own brand" names although presumably intended to imply
consistency are no guarantee of it at all. Remember Matsui, for
example? Then there's PC World with their brand "AOC", which I've seen
explained as standing for "Any Old Crap" (though I'm sure that can't
be justified at all of course).

Maybe the marketing people think it's easier to adopt an existing name
that's already well known (regardless of what it's actually well known
for) than to try to invent a new one, and that lots of people will
think it's good and buy it anyway. Maybe they're right. Maybe your
prediction of a Heinz TV is not so far fetched after all. If I ever
see one, I'll remember who thought of it first.

Rod.

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

---
http://www.avg.com

Kenny August 25th 17 10:50 AM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

"johnt" wrote in message ...

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
......but 299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

--
JohnT
I bought a 43" Hisense from AO for 289 after 40 discount code, very
pleased with picture quality and virtually every kind of connection socket.
Only slight niggle would be limited number of apps available.
Kenny

MR August 25th 17 11:16 AM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

---
http://www.avg.com

There's Bush, Celsus etc. Aren't they just last year's model? Using up old LCD panels when the big boys come out with something new.

MR

AnthonyL August 25th 17 11:19 AM

Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at 299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

There is a review (of sorts) he
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/...pport-warning/
.....but 299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

"Vestel is currently the largest manufacturer of televisions in Europe
and that also makes it one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the
world. Founded in 1984 the Turkish company has long been committed to
creating high volume goods, but has always had an eye towards the
future."

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

--
AnthonyL