Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old September 11th 17, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL wrote:

[63 lines snipped]

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung

Don't buy a Samsung. They're ****.

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

Well all I've learnt from the pair of you is that Polaroid are ****
and Samsung are ****, though in both cases with no explanation nor
helpful alternative suggestions.

I wish I could offer one, and then I could have bought one. One suggestion
I would make is not to buy a "Smart" TV - get a dumb one and a STB to
do the "smart" stuff - Roku has been recommended to me by a couple
of people. We bought Sony for decades but were talked out of it
by the salesman in John Lewis, which is why we ended up with a Samsung
(spit). Part of the problem is that we buy TVs *very* rarely. Essentially
only when they fail terminally, so we don't have any experience when it
comes to buying a new one.

That's why I on here doh!

--
AnthonyL
Old September 11th 17, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,

On 2017-09-10, johnt wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV that
price is related to quality.

Sadly not. The Samsung was a lot of money.

I bought a 49" Panasonic

I won't buy Panasonic stuff, either, because of the DVR I foolishly
bought on the basis of Internet reviews. It's an even bigger PoS than
the Samsung telly.

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

Gawd knows. The one lesson I've learned is that I'm not buying anything
on the basis of Internet reviews or the word of a salescreature, even
a John Lewis one. I want to have actual hands-on experience before I
buy.

how many shops will allow you to do that?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old September 11th 17, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 2017-09-10, johnt wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV that
price is related to quality.

Sadly not. The Samsung was a lot of money.

I bought a 49" Panasonic

I won't buy Panasonic stuff, either, because of the DVR I foolishly
bought on the basis of Internet reviews. It's an even bigger PoS than
the Samsung telly.

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

Gawd knows. The one lesson I've learned is that I'm not buying anything
on the basis of Internet reviews or the word of a salescreature, even
a John Lewis one. I want to have actual hands-on experience before I
buy.

how many shops will allow you to do that?

Richer Sounds will - as long as they have it on display.

After finding that Sony (non-smart) TV would not let you get a 4:3
picture on its HDMI channel (necessitating the use of a SCART connection
for such material in correct aspect ratio), I was very keen to make sure
that the replacement would allow all aspect ratios, irrespective of the
input method.
Old September 11th 17, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 11/09/2017 12:31, AnthonyL wrote:

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

I bought an LG TV, but it was a 32in TV which most people will think is
too small. I am perfectly happy with it. I have no idea if the larger
screen sizes are comparable.

Old September 11th 17, 04:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL wrote:

[63 lines snipped]

[...]

If it helps I've recently purchased this via Amazon. Samsung UE40KU6000k
40-inch TV. I've found it to be very good. The smart features have come on
leaps and bounds since my last Samsung TV. I think the early efforts at
smartness have poisoned the well a bit. All the standard iplayer type
things are there, and they can cope with you having to sign up as the BBC
et al require (it comes up with a unique code that you then have to enter
into a website on a normal computer/phone/tablet etc). Picture quality is
excellent, seems to even have the ability to record to some sort of USB
storage, though I've not tried that. Has an integrated wifi adapter. No
SCART connector, nor any provided adapter. How well the smart features
stand the test of time is anyone's guess.

Old September 11th 17, 05:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL wrote:

[63 lines snipped]

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung

Don't buy a Samsung. They're ****.

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

Well all I've learnt from the pair of you is that Polaroid are ****
and Samsung are ****, though in both cases with no explanation nor
helpful alternative suggestions.

It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV that
price is related to quality. I bought a 49" Panasonic UHD TV about a year
back for 700 and am very happy with it. Prior to that I had a good Sony
TV and that too was good. Polaroid is now just a name. The original
Company never made TVs. Kodak is now also just a name. I think that
Blaupunkt TVs are now available again. But that nowadays is just a name
for low price low quality goods.

Familiar trusted brand names seem to get traded like stocks and shares.

Vestel probably has one of the longest list of badges.

Old September 11th 17, 05:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

On 2017-09-10, johnt wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV
that
price is related to quality.

Sadly not. The Samsung was a lot of money.

I bought a 49" Panasonic

I won't buy Panasonic stuff, either, because of the DVR I foolishly
bought on the basis of Internet reviews. It's an even bigger PoS than
the Samsung telly.

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

Gawd knows. The one lesson I've learned is that I'm not buying anything
on the basis of Internet reviews or the word of a salescreature, even
a John Lewis one. I want to have actual hands-on experience before I
buy.

how many shops will allow you to do that?

Mail order catalogues.

Old September 11th 17, 06:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 11/09/2017 12:31, AnthonyL wrote:

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

I bought an LG TV, but it was a 32in TV which most people will think is
too small. I am perfectly happy with it. I have no idea if the larger
screen sizes are comparable.

Manufacturers seem to be striving towards the least number of production
lines they can get away with.

If the whole range of TVs use the same PCBs - you only need a key card to
tell the pick and place machine which components to place for the version on
that production run.

Old September 11th 17, 06:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL wrote:

[63 lines snipped]

[...]

Scrounging one on Freegle is much more satisfying than being able to count
the ribs on your wallet.

Old September 11th 17, 09:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 10/09/2017 16:32, Huge wrote:

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

This is true. I am a god.
Bill

"All hail king Bill"!!....
--