Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

Old September 11th 17, 09:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

In article , JNugent
scribeth thus
In article ,

On 2017-09-10, johnt wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV that
price is related to quality.

Sadly not. The Samsung was a lot of money.

I bought a 49" Panasonic

I won't buy Panasonic stuff, either, because of the DVR I foolishly
bought on the basis of Internet reviews. It's an even bigger PoS than
the Samsung telly.

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

Gawd knows. The one lesson I've learned is that I'm not buying anything
on the basis of Internet reviews or the word of a salescreature, even
a John Lewis one. I want to have actual hands-on experience before I
buy.

how many shops will allow you to do that?

Richer Sounds will - as long as they have it on display.

Sod that never heard such a load of bull**** when i went there last they
were an order worse then Currys!

John Lewes were quite good, a well informed young man there knew his
stuff - still this was a few years ago now...

After finding that Sony (non-smart) TV would not let you get a 4:3
picture on its HDMI channel (necessitating the use of a SCART connection
for such material in correct aspect ratio), I was very keen to make sure
that the replacement would allow all aspect ratios, irrespective of the
input method.

--
Tony Sayer

Old September 11th 17, 11:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

On 2017-09-10, johnt wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

[...]

I was assuming that a knowledgeable customer who knew what they were
looking for when trying a piece of equipment would not need advice from
a sales assistant.

I certainly didn't when I tried the aspect ratio witching on the set I
have at the moment.

Old September 12th 17, 02:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/09/2017 22:17, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 10/09/2017 16:32, Huge wrote:

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

This is true. I am a god.
Bill

"All hail king Bill"!!....

I'm a god, not a mere king.

Old September 12th 17, 07:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:17:50 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

"All hail king Bill"!!....

....and long may She reign!!

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old September 12th 17, 08:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:17:50 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

"All hail king Bill"!!....

All hail ***king who?

Old September 12th 17, 08:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 16:24:47 +0000 (UTC), Tweed
wrote:

If it helps I've recently purchased this via Amazon. Samsung UE40KU6000k
40-inch TV. I've found it to be very good. The smart features have come on
leaps and bounds since my last Samsung TV. I think the early efforts at
smartness have poisoned the well a bit.

"Smart" features will probably make even more leaps and bounds long
before you need to replace your TV, by which time the performance of
those features that are built in will look slow and primitive compared
with what is available in external boxes, or of course an expensive
new TV. Some of the features may no longer work at all. External boxes
are cheaper to replace than TVs, so they're the best way to keep up.

Old September 12th 17, 12:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 19:01:16 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Manufacturers seem to be striving towards the least number of production
lines they can get away with.

And it appears the maximum number of model numbers.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 12th 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:59:31 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL wrote:

[63 lines snipped]

So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung

Don't buy a Samsung. They're ****.

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

Well all I've learnt from the pair of you is that Polaroid are ****
and Samsung are ****, though in both cases with no explanation nor
helpful alternative suggestions.

I wish I could offer one, and then I could have bought one. One suggestion
I would make is not to buy a "Smart" TV - get a dumb one and a STB to
do the "smart" stuff - Roku has been recommended to me by a couple
of people. We bought Sony for decades but were talked out of it
by the salesman in John Lewis, which is why we ended up with a Samsung
(spit). Part of the problem is that we buy TVs *very* rarely. Essentially
only when they fail terminally, so we don't have any experience when it
comes to buying a new one.

That's why I on here doh!

"One suggestion I would make is not to buy a "Smart" TV - get a dumb one and a
STB to do the "smart" stuff" Is good advice.
We have a Sony, but the tuning is done via a Humax PVR and the sound is provided
by a Philips Sound Bar.

I can empathise with that. For one I have a Wii on which most
internet functions no longer work eg iPlayer and it can't be upgraded.

We only watch Freeview, and an old (Topfield) non-HD PVR, not bothered
about Netflix etc. But ever since large screens have become the norm
the whole viewing angle especially of sports seems to have changed so
that features are no longer distinguishable on the 28".

--
AnthonyL
Old September 12th 17, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 12/09/2017 08:52, Alan White wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:17:50 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

"All hail king Bill"!!....

...and long may She reign!!

Bitch!

Billie
Old September 12th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 10/09/2017 16:32, Huge wrote:

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

This is true. I am a god.

UR just copying Napoleon.