widesceen on freeview

Old July 3rd 03, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Carl Hender

Default widesceen on freeview

Hi

I know this sounds like a newbie question but I need it answered thanks.
I have seen some freeview boxes saying they decode widescreen TV and some
that don't mention it at all.
I have a 32" widescreen TV and used to have NTL cable TV but had trouble
with signal strength. I've had an aerial updated to receive freeview but
have not chosen a box yet. Will even a cheep STB decode widescreen for me?

Bye, Carl
http://www.hender.co.uk/

---

Old July 3rd 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Carl Hender" wrote in message
Hi

I know this sounds like a newbie question but I need it answered thanks.
I have seen some freeview boxes saying they decode widescreen TV and some
that don't mention it at all.
I have a 32" widescreen TV and used to have NTL cable TV but had trouble
with signal strength. I've had an aerial updated to receive freeview but
have not chosen a box yet. Will even a cheep STB decode widescreen for me?

Decode? Digital programms are broadcast in widescreen or not, depending on
the source material. Our widescreen is anmorphic PAL, i,e the video signal
is the same for widescreen and 4:3. It's the TV which stretches the image
when it detects a widescreen control signal from the freeview box. If you
don't have a 4:3 Tv you have to set up the freeview box to handle the
widescreen broadcasts. It can either generate a letterbox image, or extract
the center portion.

Old July 3rd 03, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
HJK

"Carl Hender" wrote in message
Hi

I know this sounds like a newbie question but I need it answered thanks.
I have seen some freeview boxes saying they decode widescreen TV and some
that don't mention it at all.
I have a 32" widescreen TV and used to have NTL cable TV but had trouble
with signal strength. I've had an aerial updated to receive freeview but
have not chosen a box yet. Will even a cheep STB decode widescreen for me?

The decoder reads the format transmitted in the MPEG videostream. On basis
of
this the decoder controls the TV switching on the scart pin 8. You will
need a scart as it does
not work with a RF output.

As you have a widescreen TV you do not look for a receiver that can make
letterbox but I guess
most of them can anyway.

Best think is to get a demo in the shop where you buy it. If you buy it
online then get the tech specs first.

Old July 3rd 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Carl Hender

Thanks everyone. The Thomson seems to be a good box for the money and has
been recommended. I'll probably go for freeview in a couple of months as not
watching too much TV atm.
I got the TV from unbeatable and found them very good. I had to pay about
25 for delivery but still saved a lot of money.

Bye, Carl
http://www.hender.co.uk/
928 S4 Auto '87 & '88
"Mark S" wrote in message

"HJK" wrote in message

"Carl Hender" wrote in message
Hi

I know this sounds like a newbie question but I need it answered

thanks.
I have seen some freeview boxes saying they decode widescreen TV and

some
that don't mention it at all.
I have a 32" widescreen TV and used to have NTL cable TV but had

trouble
with signal strength. I've had an aerial updated to receive freeview

but
have not chosen a box yet. Will even a cheep STB decode widescreen for

me?

snip

To put it simply, yes. Any Freeview box will give you a 16:9 widescreen
picture. I recommend the Thomson DTI-1000 box (unbeatable.co.uk seem to

be
cheapest at 75.99 - you'll need to buy a SCART lead as it doesn't come

with
one) - but avoid the Ferguson FDT500 which does not have RGB output. (RGB
will give you a much better picture on your TV.)

Mark.

---