Humax overheating

Old February 17th 17, 11:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Humax overheating

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's fine
for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have had no
indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I am
assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope? If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 12:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

This evening, my running HDR Fox T2 would not respond to any controls,
not even the button on the front. I unplugged it, and powered it up
again, and it works.
Thanks to the Customised Firmware, I was able to see that it was
overheating, so I put a small fan on, pointing at it, and the
reported temp. inside came down from 55 deg. to 42 deg. Ok, that's fine
for tonight. Check one up for the CF; without it, I would have had no
indication what the cause of the problem was.

Tomorrow's job is clearly to open it up and clean the interior, as I am
assuming that it's plugged up with dust and cat fur. It has been in
exactly the same place for a couple of years, so this is new, and it's
not even spring yet, let alone summer.

Is opening it up as simple as I hope?

Yep - just some screws, three I think at the back and the cover sides
off.

If it's like a DVD player, it
will be a few Phillips screws, and the inside will be laid bare. Is it
really that simple, and are there any other things to look for while
it's opened up? It's well out of warranty.

When I changed the drive in mine I found a youtube video to follow -
worth it because the fan connector is a tricky sucker and you have to
disconnect that to change the drive.

I mention it, just in case you need to change the fan.

Meanwhile, are you sure about the overheating because all these machines
tend to run hot which is why there is a software fan package. I run mine
at 42%, permanently, as it used to go well above the 55 deg C threshold
suggested on the SMART page.

Also, although I have no experience of this on a Humax, computers tend
to be shut down by the firmware when they overheat - not just left to
crash.

But anyway, my room is quite cool at the moment and I am just watching a
recording, the Humax doing nothing else, and it is currently sitting at
39 deg C.

Old February 18th 17, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 01:47:44 -0000
Yellow wrote:

In article , lid
says...

[...]

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That temperature seems a little low for it to complain. I bet there is
something else going on or perhaps a chip with no temp sensor is getting
even hotter.

I have computer chips that run hotter than that when very busy.

news

Old February 18th 17, 09:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:25:54 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

That temperature seems a little low for it to complain. I bet there
is something else going on or perhaps a chip with no temp sensor is
getting even hotter.

I have computer chips that run hotter than that when very busy.
Brian

Maybe, but that is what the Diagnostic page showed, in bright red, as
'Failing Now', so that's what I took as the problem. It's labelled
'Airflow Temp', so may not represent an actual chip temperature, which
might be higher.

Overnight, with no external fan, it's now at 31 deg. C.

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel which
shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70% full. I
can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look that closely
at the front panel, I always use the remote control for everything.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 09:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 18/02/2017 10:09, Davey wrote:

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel which
shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70% full. I
can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look that closely
at the front panel, I always use the remote control for everything.

I think that means that the output is in 'full' HD. The HDD indicator is
a rectangle with up to four dots in it at the RHS of the display.

--
Max Demian
Old February 18th 17, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:41:18 +0000
Max Demian wrote:

On 18/02/2017 10:09, Davey wrote:

The other puzzle is that there is an indicator on the front panel
which shows, in a tiny font, 'FULL', but the 1TB HDD is only ~70%
full. I can't say whether this is new or not, I never usually look
that closely at the front panel, I always use the remote control
for everything.

I think that means that the output is in 'full' HD. The HDD indicator
is a rectangle with up to four dots in it at the RHS of the display.

I had wondered if it was something to do with the display, so that
makes sense. Somewhere, I must have the manual...

I see the HDD level every time I go into Watch mode, so I know how much
of it is used. I'll look for the other display.

--
Davey.
Old February 18th 17, 03:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 14:45:23 -0000
Yellow wrote:

Perhaps your internal fan has just packed up?

I think so. That would seem the logical conclusion. it's supposed to be
running at 24% minimum, and it doesn't run at all.

--
Davey.
Old February 19th 17, 07:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pete Forman[_2_]

Yellow wrote:

Perhaps your internal fan has just packed up?

I think so. That would seem the logical conclusion. it's supposed to
be running at 24% minimum, and it doesn't run at all.

See if you can get a voltmeter onto the fan wires. If there is zero
reading then it is probably the electronics driving the fan or the PSU
at fault.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com