Do Philips MR16 LED bulbs cause RF interference

Old December 31st 16, 01:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default Do Philips MR16 LED bulbs cause RF interference

I am starting a new thread to focus (excuse the pun) on one aspect of
LED bulbs.

I am grateful to all those who contributed to the previous thread
offering innovative solutions. However, now that the supplier appears
to concede there is a problem I am planning to return them and
purchase a 'reputable' make.

Does anyone have Philips 12 Volt (MR16) LED spot lamps? Could you let
me know if they interfere with DAB radio? Maybe you could hold the
radio close to the lamps and let me know.

Thanks - Scott
Old January 2nd 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 31/12/16 14:47, Scott wrote:
Does anyone have Philips 12 Volt (MR16) LED spot lamps? Could you let
me know if they interfere with DAB radio? Maybe you could hold the
radio close to the lamps and let me know.

Any reputable make will have a potential for interference. Whether that
potential is realised will depend on the sensitivity of the receiver
(i.e. how little noise it, itself, contributes) and the weakness of the
signal. It will also depend on how strong other local interference
sources are.
Old January 2nd 17, 05:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 10:13:45 +0000, David Woolley
wrote:

On 31/12/16 14:47, Scott wrote:
Does anyone have Philips 12 Volt (MR16) LED spot lamps? Could you let
me know if they interfere with DAB radio? Maybe you could hold the
radio close to the lamps and let me know.

Any reputable make will have a potential for interference. Whether that
potential is realised will depend on the sensitivity of the receiver
(i.e. how little noise it, itself, contributes) and the weakness of the
signal. It will also depend on how strong other local interference
sources are.

Thanks. We covered that in the other thread. My question now is
whether anyone can comment on Philips from personal experience.
Old April 9th 18, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 1:48:00 AM UTC+11, Scott wrote:
I am starting a new thread to focus (excuse the pun) on one aspect of
LED bulbs.

I am grateful to all those who contributed to the previous thread
offering innovative solutions. However, now that the supplier appears
to concede there is a problem I am planning to return them and
purchase a 'reputable' make.

Does anyone have Philips 12 Volt (MR16) LED spot lamps? Could you let
me know if they interfere with DAB radio? Maybe you could hold the
radio close to the lamps and let me know.

Thanks - Scott

Replaced 4 halogen downlights with Phillips LED 5W 390 lumen 12 Vac GU5.3 and digital TV reception turned to crap. Watching TV in the dark until I get a chance to return them.
Old April 9th 18, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 9 April 2018 13:44:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 05:03:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 1:48:00 AM UTC+11, Scott wrote:
I am starting a new thread to focus (excuse the pun) on one aspect of
LED bulbs.

I am grateful to all those who contributed to the previous thread
offering innovative solutions. However, now that the supplier appears
to concede there is a problem I am planning to return them and
purchase a 'reputable' make.

Does anyone have Philips 12 Volt (MR16) LED spot lamps? Could you let
me know if they interfere with DAB radio? Maybe you could hold the
radio close to the lamps and let me know.

Thanks - Scott

Replaced 4 halogen downlights with Phillips LED 5W 390 lumen 12 Vac GU5.3 and digital TV reception turned to crap. Watching TV in the dark until I get a chance to return them.

The way it was explained to me is each bulb contains a rectifier.
Because the current is 20x greater, 12V bulbs produce far more
interference than mains voltage.

It won't be the rectifier that is causing the noise - they switch at 0V, but high frequency chopped waveform used in the [mini] switched mode power supply used to get it down to the ~3V needed for the LED's.
Old April 9th 18, 04:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 08:30:51 -0700 (PDT), "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

[...]

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Old April 10th 18, 05:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The waveform often generated shows saturation of the core material on the
high frequency transformer used inside a lot of these and wall warts as
well. Also the sharp edges on the waveform so generated tends to create
harmonics way up to microwave frequencies, like a nice little jamming
machine. its wasteful of power and very bad design.