Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   lift conditions in recent days (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35836)

Brian Gaff December 29th 16 06:29 PM

lift conditions in recent days

I've noticed many extra dab stations and some other stuff, like Heathrow
complain on approach that French ATC is breaking in.
I have however not noticed much problem with the freeview this time.
I guess the ducting has been in a different direction to strong uhf
transmitters here, so would not be noticed that much.
Incidentally the problem with my loft aerial turned out to be the feeder
scuffed away due to weather etc.

David Wade[_2_] December 29th 16 07:57 PM

On 29/12/2016 19:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've noticed many extra dab stations and some other stuff, like Heathrow
complain on approach that French ATC is breaking in.

Airband is AM so that there is no capture effect and it is obvious when
two signals are present on the same channel.

I have however not noticed much problem with the freeview this time.
I guess the ducting has been in a different direction to strong uhf
transmitters here, so would not be noticed that much.

Perhaps its just the lift has not extended to the UHF

Incidentally the problem with my loft aerial turned out to be the feeder
scuffed away due to weather etc.

Brian

Dave

Mark Carver December 29th 16 09:26 PM

lift conditions in recent days

On 29/12/2016 20:57, David Wade wrote:
..

Perhaps its just the lift has not extended to the UHF

It certainly did here in Hampshire last night (Weds)

--
Mark

Jeff Layman[_2_] December 30th 16 08:47 AM

.

Perhaps its just the lift has not extended to the UHF

It certainly did here in Hampshire last night (Weds)

What mux/channel? I'm about 25km north of Rowridge and didn't notice any
problem.

--

Jeff

Brian Gaff December 30th 16 09:39 AM

lift conditions in recent days

Ha ha, .
Actually, I blame the installer, but unfortunately I was the installer....

Brian Gaff December 30th 16 09:50 AM

lift conditions in recent days

In the old analogue days when all tv regions had different test cards and
programmes, It was great fun to have rotatable aerials. Even better in the
405 line days on band 3. Tyne Tees in Surrey and all that. On one occasion
Danish 625 line TV was coming in on Band 3 for a whole morning horizontally
polarised of course.
Played havoc with local stations that did.

I seem to recall though that traditionally these events happened from around
September onwards, but te effect is happening later these days.

Now sadly its so hard to find any area free from more local transmissions in
which to see more distant ones.
UHF was never as good and once the fill in vertically polarised stations
started it became more and more difficult to get distant ones due to more
local low power ones on the same channels.

All very annoying.

Nowadays any form of DX-ing is almost impossible unless you go to some place
very high up away from transmitters and the general rubbish we pump out from
wall warts and power line adaptors amongst other things.

Adrian Caspersz December 30th 16 10:03 AM

lift conditions in recent days

On 29/12/16 19:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've noticed many extra ...

Vomit, Fosters tin, takeaway bag, unmentionable liquid, spray paint tin,
spray painted walls, shredded newspaper, half a DVD, Christmas cracker
remnants, a red high heeled shoe. Strange noise from door mechanism and
needs a solid kicking to open fully at ground floor.

Use the stairs?

--
Adrian C

Vir Campestris December 30th 16 04:06 PM

lift conditions in recent days

On 29/12/2016 20:57, David Wade wrote:
Airband is AM so that there is no capture effect and it is obvious when
two signals are present on the same channel.

This is not by accident.

ATC really want to know when two 'planes respond to "You are cleared to
land".

Andy

Paul Cummins[_5_] December 30th 16 05:33 PM

lift conditions in recent days

In article ,
lid (Vir Campestris) wrote:

ATC really want to know when two 'planes respond to "You are
cleared to land".

or "cleared for take off" in a spanish accent on a small island.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981