Crackdown on tv pirate devices

Old December 24th 17, 04:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew Rowland[_2_]

Default Crackdown on tv pirate devices

On Sunday, 24 December 2017 12:30:13 UTC, The Other John wrote:
On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 02:57:57 -0800, Andrew Rowland wrote:

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 17:30:16 UTC+1, Andrew Rowland wrote:

It took you 18 months to finish your post - what were you doing? Watching
pirate TV?

--
TOJ.

LOL. I just updated an old post to avoid leaving a false impression on the Intertubes. But I prefer your explanation
Old December 26th 17, 08:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

As a matter of interest, what brought this old thread back? There seems to
have been no change in the status quoe when you see who is doing what on the
ground, so has all of this just bee another scare tactic and has no actual
teeth.

I don't think those who own copyright have actually convinced the general
public about anything you cannot hold in your hand being anyone elses
property. Until they do and act fairly to allow people to do with what they
have bought in any way, I suspect the old arguments and lobbying will just
continue.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 02:57:57 -0800 (PST), Andrew Rowland
wrote:

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 17:30:16 UTC+1, Andrew Rowland wrote:
On Sunday, 29 May 2016 11:34:28 UTC+1, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The description is all a bit vague about exactly what's illegal about
these boxes and how we're supposed to know. Lots of perfectly
respectable companies sell "Android-style set-top boxes". I bought one
myself, from Amazon. Are we not supposed to use them? How are we
supposed to tell the difference between an "Android-style set-top box"
and a "pirate device"?

Rod.
The policeman was dumbing down like mad, or the reporter dumbed down. It
is the emsoftware/em that is illegal, not the boxes, and AFAIK it is
only illegal to sell these boxes, not to buy them. I have certainly only
seen reports of Sky going after sellers, not their customers. (See links
in this:
http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived...t/td-p/1499847)
It certainly doesn't apply to mainstream brands like Amazon Fire
Sticks/boxes, Roku, Now TV etc. It would apply to many of the cheap
Chinese boxes you get on eBay & Amazon Market, though whether it is
worth any publisher's while trying to go after sellers abroad is moot.
If you download copyright material then you are open to prosecution for
that, but again, my understanding is that viewing pirated films via
streaming, without making a permanent copy, is not illegal -- though
that loophole may get closed. See
https://gigaom.com/2014/06/05/you-ca...p-court-rules/

Recent court cases have shown that it is illegal to circumvent encryption
in order to avoid paying a subscription or fee.

AFAIR the court cases were against pubs showing sports events using such
boxes.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland