What good is a spare digi box?

Old July 3rd 03, 09:38 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Turner

Default What good is a spare digi box?

Hi - I am new to all this so please bear with me!

I have recently had sky digital installed in my lounge with the
movies/sport package. However someone I know is selling a sky digibox
and I wondered what good it would be if I put in my bedroom and
connected it to the dish? It doesn't have a card...

- Is it easy to split the cable from the dish so it goes to both
boxes?
- Will the box work at all without a card?
- If so, what channels will I recieve?
- How much is an extra card with a basic package (skyone etc)?

Thanks everybody.

Paul
Old July 3rd 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
John Russell

"Paul Turner" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I am new to all this so please bear with me!

I have recently had sky digital installed in my lounge with the
movies/sport package. However someone I know is selling a sky digibox
and I wondered what good it would be if I put in my bedroom and
connected it to the dish? It doesn't have a card...

- Is it easy to split the cable from the dish so it goes to both
boxes?
- Will the box work at all without a card?
- If so, what channels will I recieve?
- How much is an extra card with a basic package (skyone etc)?

Thanks everybody.

Paul

A sat dish isn't a passive device like an aerial. There is a switching
signal sent back to the reciever in the dish. You need to have a dish with
two of these, wired independently to each digibox.

Old July 3rd 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul

John Russell wrote:
A sat dish isn't a passive device like an aerial. There is a switching
signal sent back to the reciever in the dish. You need to have a dish
with two of these, wired independently to each digibox.

What if you want 3 digiboxes? I already have 2, but a 3rd would be handy.
How do i know how many receivers my dish has? Its a fairly new dish... is
it a DIY job to fit an 'LNB' (as Lawrence says you need)?

Thanks

Paul

Old July 3rd 03, 03:51 PM posted to uk.media.tv.sky,uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark

"Paul" wrote in message ...
John Russell wrote:
A sat dish isn't a passive device like an aerial. There is a switching
signal sent back to the reciever in the dish. You need to have a dish
with two of these, wired independently to each digibox.

What if you want 3 digiboxes? I already have 2, but a 3rd would be handy.
How do i know how many receivers my dish has? Its a fairly new dish... is
it a DIY job to fit an 'LNB' (as Lawrence says you need)?

Thanks

Paul

Fitted a quad in about 10 mins (inc cableing) its very easy