Carpet gripper strip

Old October 9th 15, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lobster

Default Carpet gripper strip

I've just pulled up a worn-out fitted carpet in readiness for a
replacement. It had been fitted on a solid floor, using carpet gripper
strip which had been glued to the floor; and in spite of my best efforts,
most of the strips have come away from the floor along with the carpet. A
bit odd, as I've replaced third carpet before with no problem, and the
grippers date from the previous installation.

Anyway.

My query is about the fact that all the gripper had been glued down in
short lengths of no more than about 9", rather than mostly as full lengths
of 3 or 4 feet. I'd have thought that would make it far more likely for
the lengths to come unstuck; or have I got that arse about face? I'm
wondering whether it was done by the fitters this way deliberately, or
whether it was because they were just using up loads of gripper offcuts
from the van?

Would like to know before I fix it! (I'm not fitting the new carpet
myself, but will do the grippers.)

Thanks
--
David

--
David
Old October 9th 15, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Just trying to make sense of the reason this post is here.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
. 236...

Old October 9th 15, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Wrong group, but, I would say leave the gripper fixing to the carpet
fitters. That way, if it comes unstuck it's their job to sort it.

Tim

Old October 9th 15, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Tim+ wrote:
Wrong group, but, I would say leave the gripper fixing to the carpet
fitters. That way, if it comes unstuck it's their job to sort it.

Plus gap between gripper and wall depends on the thickness of underlay,
thickness of carpet and - crucially - the individual fitter's sure and
certain knowledge of what's the only right and proper gap.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old October 9th 15, 10:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Lobster wrote:
[...]

It might have been done that way because the floor was uneven.

Old October 10th 15, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Lobster

On 09 Oct 2015, Tim+ grunted:

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Yes, sorry about that! Had been wondering why this hadn't appeared on uk.d-
i-y.... follow-ups set.

The trouble with leaving gripper fixing to the fitters is that for a solid
floor they need glueing down, which I would say really means a separate
trip to do that job if the glue is going to have cured strongly enough to
hold stretched carpet in place. I've certainly seen the results of fitters
glueing and fitting within the same session

--
David