Windows Media Centre in UK - some channels' listings are missing

Old October 10th 15, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.video.pvr
Ant[_6_]

Default Windows Media Centre in UK - some channels' listings are missing

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 17:34:37 +0100, "NY" wrote:

I'm sure at one time there was an option to set a given channel to use the
broadcaster's listings in the Freeview datastream instead of the downloaded
listings from BDS, for just this eventuality, but I can't find it now and
nothing relevant is coming up when I Google for "Use listings from
broadcaster".

This was baffling me too, and like you I was Googling around trying to
find where that option had gone, to no avail.

But I've just cracked it. It's because Talking Pictures TV is on a
DVB-T2 multiplex. In WMC, channels on T2 multiplexes don't seem to
show the 'Use listings from broadcaster' option. I'm guessing this is
as a result of the encryption of guide data for channels on T2
multiplexes (as lobbied for by the BBC, and enforced via the Freeview
HD standard.)

I can't check at the moment, but the last time I looked, it appeared
that this encryption of EPG data (intended to 'protect' HD broadcasts
by making it impossible to sell a receiver which did not have the
necessary decryption keys, which would only be given by the BBC to
compliant manufacturers who promised to encrypt the FTA transmissions
when stored on disc, and other such pointless tomfoolery) is
apparently also being used against SD channels on a DVB-T2 mux. Which
is clearly not beneficial to consumers at all, and not within the
terms of the original request to Ofcom for this encryption to be used
purely for the purpose of 'securing' HD content. (A token move at
best, given that the actual video and audio is transmitted entirely
unencrypted in the first place.)

From a WMC perspective, there are some ways around this - it is
possible to use tools like EPG Collector to (manually) collect a full
Freeview EPG, and then 'insert' it into Media Center. (I've done this
before with satellite listings, haven't tried it yet for Freeview but
there's no reason why it shouldn't work.) That might be one way around
the problem, at least for the moment. I'll need to experiment some
more...