Talking Pictures TV HD channel 81 on Freeview

Old October 10th 15, 12:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gregory

Default Talking Pictures TV HD channel 81 on Freeview

On 08/10/2015 14:30, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:09:26 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single light
switch (I've used so far) upside down,

I had that problem in Italy, so it's isn't just merkins

I was recently watching a French TV drama about the WW2 resistance in
France, and in one episode somebody was using a radio transmitter that
had to be plugged into a light socket. The socket looked very much
like a bayonet fitting, just like the ones we use in the UK, but I
thought the French, being continental, would use the continental screw
fitting type. Am I wrong about this, or did the TV props department
not research it correctly?

Rod.

I certainly remember the light bulbs all being edison screw when I was
last in France (probably 20 years ago).

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old October 10th 15, 05:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 01:53:19 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 07/10/2015 17:40, Dave W wrote:

That site is confusing. For where I live it shows channel 81 under
'All' but not under 'HD'. Quite rightly, but it gives no clue that you
need an HD box to see channel 81.

Sigh. As ever, the UK manages to confuse its punters. You don't need an
'HD' receiver per se, you just need a DVB-T2 receiver, but as ever the
marketing fcukwits at Freeview/BBC/DUK etc think we're all too dim to
understand.

(Every other country refers to DVB-T2)

What about the Irish Republic?

In that country, HD as well as SD is transmitted on DVB-T.

I live in Northern Ireland within range of a transmitter in the
Republic. The TV set in the room I'm sitting in is a Samsung 24in "HD
Ready" (UE24H4003). The set does not have a DVB-T2 receiver but does
have an MPEG-4 decoder (as well as an MPEG-2 one).

As far as local broadcasts are concerned that set can receive only the
SD channels from BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and the rest, but it can receive and
display HD channels from the Republic.

The situation is more complicated than that because transmissions from
the Republic use MPEG-4 for SD as well as HD. So a normal UK-style
non-HD set will not display any channel from the Republic even though it
is on DVB-T. Such a set will find those channels when tuning but can't
display the video but the audio can be heard.

I discovered by experiment that with some UK-style SD-only TVs and STVs
it is possible to get the Teletext from Irish channels, *but only with
the sound muted*!

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old October 10th 15, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 18:29:03 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

I discovered by experiment that with some UK-style SD-only TVs and STVs

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)