Talking Pictures TV HD channel 81 on Freeview

Old October 7th 15, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
madge

Default Talking Pictures TV HD channel 81 on Freeview

Thanks for the replies.

Bluebell hill transmits com7 H -7dB C32 (562.0MHz)4kw 81 TalkingPictures
TV. I'll try to pick it out tonight.

--
My Kindle/Mobile links page | All Kindles | http://goo.gl/ySe0d
Use these for low bandwidth | All Mobiles | http://KindLink.tk/
Old October 7th 15, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 22:08:26 +0100, madge
wrote:
Combined minds

The Radio Times last week and this week mentions this channel but a

retune
on my Samsung HDTV it is not showing up. I receive my signal from

Dover
should I be able to view it yet? The usual HD channels are there at

the
100's why did they not assign this channel a a number in the 100's?

It's an SD channel carried on the COM7 multiplex, which usually carries HD
channels. COM7 is a weak multiplex which also carries BBC4 HD and BBC News
HD (among others). If you can't get them you won't be able to get Talking
Pictures.

It's on Sky but not Freesat

can anyone explain the logic of that?

I can't believe that Sky are paying them, they're not showing anything of
major interest likely to bring in extra sky subs.

tim

Old October 8th 15, 12:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/10/2015 17:38, madge wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 01:43:19 +0100, Mark Carver

Dover doesn't carry COM 7, and there are no immediate plans for it to,
so you won't be able to receive this channel.

Dang. I can pick up Bluebell hill is it on that transmitter?

Yes, it is, UHF Ch 32, but at much lower power than the other 6 muxes,
and out of aerial group, but worth a try

--
Mark
Old October 8th 15, 12:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/10/2015 19:39, tim..... wrote:

It's on Sky but not Freesat

can anyone explain the logic of that?

Yes, they are probably on an Astra 'wide beam', so rights issues with
European overspill. If so they need to be encrypted, (and Sky will give
them a discount, or even provide the encryption FOC, if they can be
promoted as a Sky subs package channel)

--
Mark
Old October 8th 15, 12:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 07/10/2015 17:40, Dave W wrote:

That site is confusing. For where I live it shows channel 81 under
'All' but not under 'HD'. Quite rightly, but it gives no clue that you
need an HD box to see channel 81.

Sigh. As ever, the UK manages to confuse its punters. You don't need an
'HD' receiver per se, you just need a DVB-T2 receiver, but as ever the
marketing fcukwits at Freeview/BBC/DUK etc think we're all too dim to
understand.

(Every other country refers to DVB-T2)

--
Mark
Old October 8th 15, 01:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/10/2015 19:39, tim..... wrote:

It's on Sky but not Freesat

can anyone explain the logic of that?

Yes, they are probably on an Astra 'wide beam', so rights issues with
European overspill. If so they need to be encrypted,

Is it encrypted then?

Old October 8th 15, 01:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 08/10/2015 02:11, Bill Wright wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 07/10/2015 19:39, tim..... wrote:

It's on Sky but not Freesat

can anyone explain the logic of that?

Yes, they are probably on an Astra 'wide beam', so rights issues with
European overspill. If so they need to be encrypted,

Is it encrypted then?

Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single
light switch (I've used so far) upside down, and has news programmes
that make The One Show look like a 1970s OU programme on Quantum Physics.

Also every local TV news programme have two presenters who are exact
clones of Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly.

Sorry, I digress; it seems Talking Pictures is unencrypted on 11671 H
SR 22 Meg FEC 5/6, so they simply haven't stumped up for Freesat's EPG
then ?

Can I come home now ?

--
Mark
Old October 8th 15, 08:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some weird
country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every single light
switch (I've used so far) upside down, and has news programmes
that make The One Show look like a 1970s OU programme on Quantum Physics.

Also every local TV news programme have two presenters who are exact
clones of Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly.

What I found with American TV is that no-one has taught them about the value
of "End of Part One" and "Part Two" captions to allow viewers to distinguish
clearly between programme and adverts. I found that two seemed to run
indistinguishably into each other with no junction - especially on drama; at
least on news programmes etc you get the benefit of a presenter saying
"we'll be right back after these messages". And why do they call them
"messages"? They are advertisements - or as I prefer to think of them
"spam". Why do dramas put in an ad break immediately after the opening title
sequence, within a few seconds of the previous break before the start of the
programme. The IBA had the right idea with their Code of Advertising - that
breaks should be at approximately 20 and 40 minutes into an hour-long
programme and at a natural break (eg a scene change) in the programme.

Old October 8th 15, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Oh well that is a bit of a bummer, not.
The thing is, I see no need to get an hd box, and since as far as I know
there is not one with talking menues and program guide, I'm sticking to my
old sd box from Goodmans. However if they are going to pull stunts like
this, then its going to make things very awkward.

I doubt its going to have AD any time soon.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old October 8th 15, 09:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , NY
writes
"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Dunno, I'm a little outside Astra's footprint at present, in some
weird country that uses 110 volts for its mains, has mounted every
single light switch (I've used so far) upside down, and has news
programmes
that make The One Show look like a 1970s OU programme on Quantum Physics.

Also every local TV news programme have two presenters who are exact
clones of Bruce Forsyth and Tess Daly.

What I found with American TV is that no-one has taught them about the
value of "End of Part One" and "Part Two" captions to allow viewers to
distinguish clearly between programme and adverts. I found that two
seemed to run indistinguishably into each other with no junction -
especially on drama;

That's the whole idea!

at least on news programmes etc you get the benefit of a presenter
saying "we'll be right back after these messages". And why do they call
them "messages"? They are advertisements - or as I prefer to think of
them "spam". Why do dramas put in an ad break immediately after the
opening title sequence, within a few seconds of the previous break
before the start of the programme. The IBA had the right idea with
their Code of Advertising - that breaks should be at approximately 20
and 40 minutes into an hour-long programme and at a natural break (eg a
scene change) in the programme.

At least with American TV you no longer get the cook in Downton Abbey
saying "His Lordship has let it be known that he wants something
different for dinner tonight..." - then suddenly turning to camera and
continuing ".... so naturally I'll be preparing these delicious Heinz
Baked Beans, available from your local store for around 99 cents a can".
--
Ian