Dropbox users.

Old October 4th 15, 10:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Dropbox users.

I know some post their pictures here and then copy a link to this group.

However the last two updates received to the program, 3.10.6 and 7 have a
serious issue. they delete the copy public link, and other options in the
context menu of the dropbox folder when its opened from the desktop or the
tray icon.
In the first case, it was deleted as soon as it installed, and in the
second, they remain in the menu till the computer is rebooted, whereupon
they vanish again.
Seems to me whenever they cure one problem they create another one.

Now as sighted people it is entirely possible that the method of getting at
these options has been changed and you have no issues, however I cannot
find any way to do any of the options like share a folder or copy public
link. I have to downdate to the previous version and then of course in the
fullness of time it gets updated again.
What do you folks find?
If there is no public link or sharing for free service users, there seems
no point in having it, if you have not got more than one machine in
different places.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old October 4th 15, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Allread

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:06:36 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

[...]

Brian

From the web application for Dropbox, when I highlight a particular file
it brings up a 'share' icon at the right hand side of the highlighting.
Click this brings up a pop-up box with the html path of the particular
file which can be copied and pasted or emailed direct from within the pop-
up box.

There is also a hypertext link menu within the pop-up box which allows
you to add an expiration date to the link or to adjust the permissions
which third parties enjoy to the file.

I think this will be very difficult to work through for non-sighted
people depending upon how their screen reader works.
Old October 4th 15, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Allread

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 05:57:53 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:06:36 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I know some post their pictures here and then copy a link to this
group.

ADDENDUM

I can also right click on the file in the web version to bring up the pop-
up box as below:

From the web application for Dropbox, when I highlight a particular file

Old October 4th 15, 11:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Indeed that hover method has always been inaccessible, t but they tell you
about the context menu options in their help files so its supposed to still
be there. It is not for me on several machines now however.
I wondered if they had added an invisible extra sub menu to the one on the
tray icon, but I read no changes have been made on their website.
This affeccts xp and 7 machines so far.
The shell extension has simply vanished.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Mark Allread" wrote in message
news
[...]

From the web application for Dropbox, when I highlight a particular file

Old October 4th 15, 11:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Did you send this twice?
Hovering cannot be done, Its ano no on accessibility. Most web sites have a
work around involving a link or combo box to get around it. I see nothing on
the dropbox site.
I hardly ever use dropbox from the web its far too slow and clunky when you
are a keyboard user not a mouse user.
Can you please look at the context menu in explorer when you open the
dropbox menu and highlight a file locally?
That would be most helpful. I have sent a bug report to them but I'm not
expecting a mega fast response unless this affects a lot of people, and if
most use the web version then I suspect I'm quite a rare bird.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Mark Allread" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 05:57:53 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:06:36 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

I know some post their pictures here and then copy a link to this
group.

ADDENDUM

I can also right click on the file in the web version to bring up the pop-
up box as below:

From the web application for Dropbox, when I highlight a particular file

Old October 4th 15, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Allread

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 12:45:08 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Did you send this twice?

I sent an addendum as I found that in the web based version I can right
click to get the pop-up box which gives the http link to the location
that can be copied and pasted or emailed directly to someone.

The left hand side of the website (once logged on and with files showing)
also has a small menu that appears to allow you to send a link.

I'm a Linux user so can't do what you ask re finding the file locally in
Explorer.

If no one else responds here it may be worth trying another group to
which you subscribe.

Good luck!

Old October 5th 15, 06:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Ah, so Linux has no dropbox folder then?
Anyway, I cannot see any of that on the web site. I can get to the file by
searching for it, I'm then presented with a javascript link that seems to do
nothing and an embedded object which seems to be just a blank app of some
kind embedded on the page. left and right mean nothing to us, everything is
up and down, so to speak.
its all to do with tab order.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
o.uk...

Old October 5th 15, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_3_]

On 04/10/2015 12:41, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Indeed that hover method has always been inaccessible, t but they tell you
about the context menu options in their help files so its supposed to still
be there. It is not for me on several machines now however.
I wondered if they had added an invisible extra sub menu to the one on the
tray icon, but I read no changes have been made on their website.
This affeccts xp and 7 machines so far.
The shell extension has simply vanished.
Brian

If have Dropbox files and folders on your pc, then you can select any
file, right-click or in your case use the Context button, and you should
see an option "Share Dropbox link".

Selecting this copies the public link to your clipboard which can then
be pasted into an email, document or whatever.

--

Chris
Old October 5th 15, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 05/10/2015 12:24, Chris Youlden wrote:
On 04/10/2015 12:41, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Indeed that hover method has always been inaccessible, t but they tell you
about the context menu options in their help files so its supposed to still
be there. It is not for me on several machines now however.
I wondered if they had added an invisible extra sub menu to the one on the
tray icon, but I read no changes have been made on their website.
This affeccts xp and 7 machines so far.
The shell extension has simply vanished.
Brian

If have Dropbox files and folders on your pc, then you can select any
file, right-click or in your case use the Context button, and you should
see an option "Share Dropbox link".

Selecting this copies the public link to your clipboard which can then
be pasted into an email, document or whatever.

That is how it used to work.
That option has disappeared from the context menu for some of us.

Old October 5th 15, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_3_]

On 05/10/2015 15:58, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 05/10/2015 12:24, Chris Youlden wrote:

If have Dropbox files and folders on your pc, then you can select any
file, right-click or in your case use the Context button, and you should
see an option "Share Dropbox link".

Selecting this copies the public link to your clipboard which can then
be pasted into an email, document or whatever.

That is how it used to work.
That option has disappeared from the context menu for some of us.

Jim

Hmm. Wonder why it has disappeared. There do not appear to be any
updates due for mine. I have the Basic version, maybe Pro differs?

--

Chris