Classic FM

Old September 29th 15, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Classic FM

Is now in stereo on Freeview. So somebody must have been listening after
all. Pity so many other stations are not though, such as Smooth and magic.

Which brings me to dab.
Here not even r4X is stereo, which it is on Freeview, Same seems to go for
Asian Network etc.
Most of the Absolute channels are mono as is Jazz fm and most of the other
pop and ethnic and god stations of DAB. I think they are turning it into a
glorified AM tyype platform. Why?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 29th 15, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul D Smith[_2_]

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message ...

Is now in stereo on Freeview. So somebody must have been listening after
all. Pity so many other stations are not though, such as Smooth and magic.

Which brings me to dab.
Here not even r4X is stereo, which it is on Freeview, Same seems to go for
Asian Network etc.
Most of the Absolute channels are mono as is Jazz fm and most of the other
pop and ethnic and god stations of DAB. I think they are turning it into a
glorified AM tyype platform. Why?
Brian
++++++++++++

Because there's a perfectly good band with better coverage that transmits
stereo already called FM (smiles and winks). Well, until they close that
down of course.

Paul DS.

Old September 29th 15, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
MartinR

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 12:52:28 UTC+1, Paul D Smith wrote:
"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message ...

Is now in stereo on Freeview. So somebody must have been listening after
all. Pity so many other stations are not though, such as Smooth and magic.

Which brings me to dab.
Here not even r4X is stereo, which it is on Freeview, Same seems to go for
Asian Network etc.
Most of the Absolute channels are mono as is Jazz fm and most of the other
pop and ethnic and god stations of DAB. I think they are turning it into a
glorified AM tyype platform. Why?
Brian
++++++++++++

Because there's a perfectly good band with better coverage that transmits
stereo already called FM (smiles and winks). Well, until they close that
down of course.

Paul DS.

Most people listen to radio in a car and unless you have a Rolls or Bentley your "listening pleasure" is going to be somewhat diminished by road and wind noise and it is totally irrelevant whether the station is in stereo or mono.

I always think the artificial separation of channels on 60s recordings sounds best in a car - when you can hear Ringo and George on one channel, and Paul and John on the other.

Old September 29th 15, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message ...

[...]

We were doing karaoke with those records before karaoke was a word.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old September 30th 15, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Or until its so shafted by illegal stations that none of the normal ones can
be heard without interference of course. Surely someone needs to get rid of
these drug promoting heaps of **** off of FM?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 30th 15, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

I do not agree. Although many listen in cars, the stereo is quite plainly
audible and much less jarring than the mono is.

As I say, dab equals am as am has been trashed by most of today's
interference generating devices, as has short wave as well.
I remember many happy hours in my late dads car twiddling around the am
bands including short wave and hearing all sorts of stuff you can never find
today.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 30th 15, 01:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian-Gaff wrote:
Or until its so shafted by illegal stations that none of the normal ones can
be heard without interference of course. Surely someone needs to get rid of
these drug promoting heaps of **** off of FM?
Brian

The authorities don't like to intervene because it might be construed as
racist.

Old September 30th 15, 01:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian-Gaff wrote:
I do not agree. Although many listen in cars, the stereo is quite plainly
audible and much less jarring than the mono is.

Yes but you being blind your lug holes will be more attuned than normal.
But I agree with you. I like stereo in a vehicle.

Old September 30th 15, 06:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaffna Dog

On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 14:07:30 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:
Or until its so shafted by illegal stations that none of the normal ones can
be heard without interference of course. Surely someone needs to get rid of
these drug promoting heaps of **** off of FM?
Brian

The authorities don't like to intervene because it might be construed as
racist.

Bill

It was racist attitudes by govt. in the 70's and 80's that led to London's pirate problem, they stonewalled perfectly reasonable proposals and refused to licence community radio stations that would cater for non-whites, they always meowed about "no spare frequencies" and the dinosaur IBA regime only allowed two commercial stations for the whole of London (Capital and LBC), both of which only served the white audience.
Old September 30th 15, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 29/09/2015 13:03, MartinR wrote:
Most people listen to radio in a car and unless you have a Rolls or Bentley your "listening pleasure" is going to be somewhat diminished by road and wind noise and it is totally irrelevant whether the station is in stereo or mono.

I beg to differ.

You can clearly hear the stereo, and when I've played low bitrate stuff
you can hear the distortion of a poor recording. What you can't hear is
any background hiss.

So a system that has good signal quality and is stereo, but produces a
little hiss would be ideal.

Can't think of one right now :P

Andy