Misheard title, 45 years on.

Old September 24th 15, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

Default Misheard title, 45 years on.

Thought I would re-tube (to coin a phrase) something I have just
posted in another place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHgKZgNtsEk

On today’s edition of BBC Radio Four’s “The Film Program”, there was
an interview with Walter Murch, the Sound Editor of one of Charles
Lucas early sci-fi films called “THX1138”

Apparently he had “sampled” one of Henry’s squeaks for the
soundtrack
(Not that “sampled” meant anything in that context back then).

I can vividly remember the piece being played on the BBC Third
Programme in about 1969, and thinking the station
had gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. This was far too
avant-garde for the 16 year old me.

For all these years I have carried a misheard title for this piece,
I head it as
“Something-or-other for Door and Scythe”, and I did wonder what
technique one would adopt to get music from this agricultural tool,

I knew about musical saws!

Walter Murch also got the English title slightly wrong as

“Composition For a Door And a Sigh” but that was close enough to
re-unite me with the piece, and learn who composed it.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 25th 15, 08:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

If you like that kind of weirdness. There is a station around here called
resonance FM that seems to go very hat stand over this stuff every so often.
I think its run by the art dept of a local university. I get the feeling its
only listeners are the friends of those who record it.

I mean playing pianos with a bent coat hanger poked in from the top??

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old October 1st 15, 04:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jaffna Dog

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 9:01:37 AM UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
If you like that kind of weirdness. There is a station around here called
resonance FM that seems to go very hat stand over this stuff every so often.
I think its run by the art dept of a local university. I get the feeling its
only listeners are the friends of those who record it.

I mean playing pianos with a bent coat hanger poked in from the top??

It's sponsored by the Arts Council, and voluntary donations. They'd get more listeners if they got their act together and made their online service actually work, so us plebs in the provinces could listen-in.

www.resonancefm.com

104.4 MHz in Central London.

Old October 1st 15, 05:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 09:59:19 -0700 (PDT), Jaffna Dog
wrote:

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 9:01:37 AM UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
If you like that kind of weirdness. There is a station around here called
resonance FM that seems to go very hat stand over this stuff every so often.
I think its run by the art dept of a local university. I get the feeling its
only listeners are the friends of those who record it.

I mean playing pianos with a bent coat hanger poked in from the top??

It's sponsored by the Arts Council, and voluntary donations. They'd get more listeners if they got their act together and made their online service actually work, so us plebs in the provinces could listen-in.

www.resonancefm.com

104.4 MHz in Central London.

The prominent "Listen live" button does not seem to work, however, the
"Listen" button at the top seem to.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%