How the disabled are ripped off

Old September 24th 15, 06:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default How the disabled are ripped off

110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: 149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: 60

Flightsafe device: 30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about 1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bo Disability shops: 18.
Various other places: about 10.

Various scooter keys:
Shoprider on/off switch 10. This is standard plastic body toggle
switch: 1 from CPC etc.
Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out
internally, as a key. These are sold for 5 to 12 in disability shops.
Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn
them out at 5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are
likely to be 12 to 15.

Old September 24th 15, 06:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
GB

On 24/09/2015 19:40, Bill Wright wrote:
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: 149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: 60

Flightsafe device: 30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about 1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bo Disability shops: 18.
Various other places: about 10.

Various scooter keys:
Shoprider on/off switch 10. This is standard plastic body toggle
switch: 1 from CPC etc.
Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out
internally, as a key. These are sold for 5 to 12 in disability shops.
Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn
them out at 5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are
likely to be 12 to 15.

Very annoying! To some extent, this is just the same as any spare parts
operation - for a car, for example. There is a cost involved in stocking
*many* spare parts and only selling small numbers of each item, and
that's bound to be reflected in the price. Somebody worked out that
building a car from spare parts would cost several times the cost of a
finished car.

I have no idea why your batteries are more expensive than for golf
buggies. Are you comparing with manufacturer's specific parts for named
brand buggies, or generic batteries?

Old September 24th 15, 07:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
ARW

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

That was Johnny Cash AICMFP.

--
Adam

Old September 24th 15, 07:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/09/2015 20:04, ARW wrote:

Somebody worked out that building a car from spare parts would cost
several times the cost of a finished car.

That was Johnny Cash AICMFP.

My favourite country and Johnny Cash record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

--
Mark
Old September 24th 15, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

GB wrote:

Very annoying! To some extent, this is just the same as any spare parts
operation - for a car, for example. There is a cost involved in stocking
*many* spare parts and only selling small numbers of each item, and
that's bound to be reflected in the price. Somebody worked out that
building a car from spare parts would cost several times the cost of a
finished car.

Not comparable.

I have no idea why your batteries are more expensive than for golf
buggies. Are you comparing with manufacturer's specific parts for named
brand buggies, or generic batteries?

Same batteries, same make, same capacity, same everything. Different
retailer.

Old September 24th 15, 07:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 20:04:35 +0100, ARW wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Well, the parts cost home nothing in the song!
Old September 24th 15, 08:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

That was Johnny Cash AICMFP.

My favourite country and Johnny Cash record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

Better call at the Grand Ol Opry if ever you're in the USA. You might
get to like other C & W tracks like I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My
Heart, Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye, My
John Deere Was Breaking Your Field While Your Dear John Was Breaking My
Heart, You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too, If You Don't Believe I
Love You Just Ask My Wife, and so on . . .

Old September 24th 15, 08:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
michael adams[_4_]

"GB" wrote in message ...
[...]

But that doesn't explain why the same battery is available for a golf
buggy for 40% of the price. Or the toggle switch which is widely
available elsewhere at 1/10th of the price. Or the keys which cost
three times as much in a disabilty shop as in a key cutting
kiosk.

michael adams

Old September 24th 15, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:07:08 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Mark Carver wrote:

That was Johnny Cash AICMFP.

My favourite country and Johnny Cash record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM

Better call at the Grand Ol Opry if ever you're in the USA. You might
get to like other C & W tracks like I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My
Heart, Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye, My
John Deere Was Breaking Your Field While Your Dear John Was Breaking My
Heart, You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too, If You Don't Believe I
Love You Just Ask My Wife, and so on . . .

Bill

I expect you'll have met Dolly Parton at a library near Rother Ham?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 24th 15, 08:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Graham. wrote:

I expect you'll have met Dolly Parton at a library near Rother Ham?

No, I missed her!