How the disabled are ripped off

Old September 24th 15, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default How the disabled are ripped off

On Thursday, 24 September 2015 19:40:58 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: 149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: 60

Not sure if it's *exactly* the same, but 235 from a boat supplier:

http://www.cactusnav.com/victron-ene...-p-13285..html

Owain

Old September 25th 15, 12:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
GB wrote:

Very annoying! To some extent, this is just the same as any spare parts
operation - for a car, for example. There is a cost involved in stocking
*many* spare parts and only selling small numbers of each item, and
that's bound to be reflected in the price. Somebody worked out that
building a car from spare parts would cost several times the cost of a
finished car.

Not comparable.

I have no idea why your batteries are more expensive than for golf
buggies. Are you comparing with manufacturer's specific parts for named
brand buggies, or generic batteries?

Same batteries, same make, same capacity, same everything. Different
retailer.

Bill

Prices adjusted for NHS

Old September 25th 15, 07:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes that is correct. Most companies in the low vision world tend to have
huge mark ups. Most the the cctv systems use pretty standard cameras and
other bits. The only different bit is the box they are put in. Since some of
them have been manufactured for years, one wonders how it is that prices can
be over 2000 quid for 20 quids worth of bits. I know tooling cost a are
quite hi, but...

Do you remember when wee were all told that spectacle frames were a racket
and now you can get them anywhere, but they are still a racket, just
slightly less of one than before. I bet they are churned out by the truck
load.

Don't even get me started on blind persons computers.
I always suggest a computer built by a competent small shop or similar and
shove some public domain software on it and more than halve the cost even
of the so called special offers through the disability companies.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: 149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: 60

Flightsafe device: 30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about 1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bo Disability shops: 18. Various
other places: about 10.

Various scooter keys:
Shoprider on/off switch 10. This is standard plastic body toggle switch:
1 from CPC etc.
Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out
internally, as a key. These are sold for 5 to 12 in disability shops.
Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn them
out at 5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are likely to
be 12 to 15.

Old September 25th 15, 08:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

On 24/09/2015 22:47, Jonno wrote:
Bill Wright scribbled

110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: 149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: 60

Flightsafe device: 30. This is a three pin XLR plug with pins 1 and 2
shorted, in red plastic. This inhibits the scooter operation. Cost of
manufacture will be about 1.

115mm rubber tyred jockey wheel, 20mm bo Disability shops: 18.
Various other places: about 10.

Various scooter keys:
Shoprider on/off switch 10. This is standard plastic body toggle
switch: 1 from CPC etc.
Some old types of scooter uses a standard 1/4" jack plug, shorted out
internally, as a key. These are sold for 5 to 12 in disability shops.
Some other keys are on standard blanks and my local cobbler with turn
them out at 5 each, but if you buy from a disability shop they are
likely to be 12 to 15.

The rip off starts with the cost of the scooters.

It is the old rule of caveat emptor, translated let the buyer beware.
Shopping around is the first rule for any purchase these days. For
example I recently bought a GO-GO Elite scooter for 485 delivered. Two
local disabled equipment shops wanted more than 1,600. A total scandal
that I am amazed no TV company has investigated or perhaps I blinked.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Old September 25th 15, 08:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 25/09/15 09:17, brightside S9 wrote:
You realise that the rip off is worse than you percieve. Products
from the 'disabled shop' are VAT free, not from the 'golf shop'.

They shouldn't be selling a battery VAT free. The exemption is only
supposed to apply to equipment that has no significant non-disabled use,
and is being sold to an individual end user.
Old September 25th 15, 09:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Fredxxx

On 24/09/2015 19:40, Bill Wright wrote:
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: 149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: 60

Where can you get a truly deep discharge 110AH battery for 65?
Old September 25th 15, 09:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Fredxxx

On 25/09/2015 09:51, David Woolley wrote:
On 25/09/15 09:17, brightside S9 wrote:
You realise that the rip off is worse than you percieve. Products
from the 'disabled shop' are VAT free, not from the 'golf shop'.

They shouldn't be selling a battery VAT free. The exemption is only
supposed to apply to equipment that has no significant non-disabled use,
and is being sold to an individual end user.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...HMCE_CL_000184

Says, "If the batteries were solely designed to operate within the
eligible item however, they would be eligible for relief."

It's the design that matters. One wonders if putting a label on the
battery "Designed for Mobility use only" would be sufficient? Especially
if there is another label saying "May damage battery or non-mobility
equipment where fitted" which is quite true.

The batteries are generally traction/deep discharge rated, so are
designed for this type of use.
Old September 25th 15, 09:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

In uk.d-i-y Fredxxx wrote:
On 24/09/2015 19:40, Bill Wright wrote:
110Ah deep discharge battery sold through some disability industry
outlets: £149.95. Exact same battery sold for golf buggy: £60

Where can you get a truly deep discharge 110AH battery for £65?

Yes, I was wondering that too! :-)

Something over £100 is nearer the mark for such a battery and the
really posh ones can be considerably more than that.

I bought three Leoch 12 volt 100Ah deep cycle batteries a bit over
a year ago and they were £109 each. I felt that was a very good price
too.

--
Chris Green
·
Old September 25th 15, 11:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
GB

On 24/09/2015 20:52, Bill Wright wrote:
GB wrote:

Very annoying! To some extent, this is just the same as any spare
parts operation - for a car, for example. There is a cost involved in
stocking *many* spare parts and only selling small numbers of each
item, and that's bound to be reflected in the price. Somebody worked
out that building a car from spare parts would cost several times the
cost of a finished car.

Not comparable.

Would you care to say why?

I have no idea why your batteries are more expensive than for golf
buggies. Are you comparing with manufacturer's specific parts for
named brand buggies, or generic batteries?

Same batteries, same make, same capacity, same everything. Different
retailer.

I don't know much about golf buggies, but you can't compare generic with
manufacturer's spares. Even if they are the same product. That's because
they haven't got to have the same wide inventory for generic. So, if you
buy a battery for a top brand golf buggy from one of their dealers, how
much does that cost? Otherwise, as you say, it's not comparable.