TV Freeview picture breaking up, New 4G transmitter and Aeroplanes

Old September 29th 15, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
john west

Default TV Freeview picture breaking up, New 4G transmitter andAeroplanes

On 27/09/2015 16:57, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 27/09/2015 15:59, Bill Wright wrote:

Although these built-in meters don't mean much that sounds dodgy to me.
In general Humax DTT boxes need to be showing more like 90% to work
properly (I was a Humax dealer before I retired).

I have a 9120. It seems to cope OK with signal strength down to 75% on
its own meter which rates my connection as somewhere between 78 and 82
usually. If it drops below 75 I get bits of a recording that skip on
playback.

Bright young Engineer arrived yesterday and said his meter reading
strengths results were 'marginal'.

My aerial was at the gutter level on the second floor, he said he
thought it should be higher. We have an old aerial already on the
chimney which we have never used.

He connected a new cable and a filter to it and now everything seems
just fine.

Looking back on the whole business our original aerial worked well, then
because it all went bad i just assumed it was my fault somewhere, so I
doubled checked all the connections and bought and installed a new
aerial and some new leads.

Then 'after' doing this work i got a message come up on the television
which after going on line to investigate further, informed me about new
nearby 4G transmitter which could be causing problems.

How much less grief would have been caused if I had received some
*timely* notification of these 4G transmissions likely being the cause
of my picture break up issues issues.

Thanks to all, for your contributions.
Old September 29th 15, 01:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 29/09/2015 11:10, Bill Wright wrote:
Martin wrote:

In June, I bought 64 tins of Adnams Bitter by mail order - sent to a UK
address. I found it disappointing. It is nowhere near as good as their draught
bitter.

How could it possibly be as good as draught bitter? The draught bitter
is cask conditioned. The cans are pasteurised, filtered, chilled, and
then artificially gassed up.

Bill

There are some that survive that process better than others.
Marstons Pedigree (in bottles, not cans)
Wadworths 6X in cans

Neither is as good as the draught served from a pump, but they are
surprisingly acceptable if you must buy ready packaged.

Old September 29th 15, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Martin
scribeth thus
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 22:59:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Mark Carver
scribeth thus
On 26/09/2015 11:05, Martin wrote:

Long ago I worked out that I needed to be at an altitude of around 10,000

feet
to get line of sight VHF from Manningtree, which is about 120 miles away.

Quite so. Though sat while on the beach at Southwold Suffolk in April,
this is what my phone came up with, after a manual network search:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxwbmg9wjktd5bj/2015-04-20%2010.19.31.png?dl=0

One the beach at Southwold!. Thats sacrilegious you should have been
here

https://goo.gl/maps/g5qrbdLXWU52

Rumour has it they have pipes across the road to the source of that
nectar

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...,3a,75y,90t/da
ta=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s11668310!2e1!3e10!6s%2F%2Fstora ge.googleapis.com%2Fstatic.pano
ramio.com%2Fphotos%2Fsmall%2F11668310.jpg!7i1843! 8i1878!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sadnams+bre
wery+southwold!3m1!1s0x47da222290b01a0b:0xe47b0d2 76cbdb5df!6m1!1e1

Yep thats the place, well recommended a lovely little town Southwold is
almost came a cropper there many years ago, pub first then the beach and
showing off to new girlfriend and having a pig of a job to get back to
shore very awkward currents!.
--
Tony Sayer

Old September 29th 15, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , john west
scribeth thus

----

Bright young Engineer arrived yesterday and said his meter reading
strengths results were 'marginal'.

My aerial was at the gutter level on the second floor, he said he
thought it should be higher. We have an old aerial already on the
chimney which we have never used.

He connected a new cable and a filter to it and now everything seems
just fine.

To the new aerial not the chimney one?.

Looking back on the whole business our original aerial worked well, then
because it all went bad i just assumed it was my fault somewhere, so I
doubled checked all the connections and bought and installed a new
aerial and some new leads.

This was the one up on the chimney that it was bought to replace?.

Then 'after' doing this work i got a message come up on the television
which after going on line to investigate further, informed me about new
nearby 4G transmitter which could be causing problems.

Humm... Do you know which transmitter your on the main Crystal Place
station or the relay at Finchley seems odd that messages came up on the
screen telling you that a local 4G was to start on a TX that covers most
all of London and a way out. Do you get all the MUX'es your entitled to
there or are some missing?.

How much less grief would have been caused if I had received some
*timely* notification of these 4G transmissions likely being the cause
of my picture break up issues issues.

Thats even if it was that it might well not have been.

Old September 30th 15, 02:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Martin wrote:

In June, I bought 64 tins of Adnams Bitter by mail order - sent to a UK
address. I found it disappointing. It is nowhere near as good as
their draught
bitter.

How could it possibly be as good as draught bitter? The draught bitter
is cask conditioned. The cans are pasteurised, filtered, chilled, and
then artificially gassed up.

Bill

There are some that survive that process better than others.
Marstons Pedigree (in bottles, not cans)
Wadworths 6X in cans

Neither is as good as the draught served from a pump, but they are
surprisingly acceptable if you must buy ready packaged.

If you must buy ready packaged look for bottle conditioned.

Old September 30th 15, 03:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
john west

On 29/09/2015 19:10, tony sayer wrote:
In article , john west
scribeth thus
[...]

the aerial worked fine at gutter level until all the trouble started. he
connected to the old one up on the roof.
i dont connect at all to the relay transmitter.

Old October 1st 15, 11:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Martin
scribeth thus
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:05:42 +0100, tony sayer wrote:
snip
Yep thats the place, well recommended a lovely little town Southwold is
almost came a cropper there many years ago, pub first then the beach and
showing off to new girlfriend and having a pig of a job to get back to
shore very awkward currents!.

There is the same problem on the other side/this of the North Sea. It is caused
by stretches of shallow water a few hundred yards out. The current enters
through a gap in the shallows and exits through another making a sort off sine
wave running parallel to the shore. The advice is go with the flow whilst trying
to head back to the shore. Try putting your feet down occasionally. You might be
able to stand up.

Yes I did just that, very handy being almost 6 foot 7 thats two metres
in metric..

--
Tony Sayer