Retuning the TV - naive question

Old September 21st 15, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Another John

Default Retuning the TV - naive question

I needed to retune our Freeview TV(s) to recapture ITV4 - as far as I
could see, the only channel that had gone awol.

Retuning always takes several minutes, but this time our main TV (Sony )
took about 45 minutes before it reached "100%".

Is there a rational explanation for this? I thought that perhaps I
should have taken the aerial feed out of the PVR and put it directly
into the TV for this exercise ...but that doesn't sound logical even to
me.

Cheers
J.
Old September 22nd 15, 05:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Another John wrote:

Retuning always takes several minutes, but this time our main TV (Sony )
took about 45 minutes before it reached "100%".

The higher channels no longer carry TV signals, instead they can be 4G
phone masts. It's possible some sets notice the mobile signals as
"something" rather than an unused channel, then spend too long per
channel trying to decode them.
Old September 22nd 15, 06:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 22/09/2015 06:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Another John wrote:

Retuning always takes several minutes, but this time our main TV (Sony )
took about 45 minutes before it reached "100%".

The higher channels no longer carry TV signals, instead they can be 4G
phone masts. It's possible some sets notice the mobile signals as
"something" rather than an unused channel, then spend too long per
channel trying to decode them.

I always tune mine manually, anyway - just pointing it at the muxes on
my preferred transmitter to avoid picking up stray channels from other
transmitters.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 22nd 15, 07:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Another John wrote:

Retuning always takes several minutes, but this time our main TV (Sony )
took about 45 minutes before it reached "100%".

The higher channels no longer carry TV signals, instead they can be 4G
phone masts. It's possible some sets notice the mobile signals as
"something" rather than an unused channel, then spend too long per
channel trying to decode them.

I always tune mine manually, anyway - just pointing it at the muxes on my
preferred transmitter to avoid picking up stray channels from other
transmitters.

I've found a lot of devices which don't seem to have a manual tuning option
where you can type in the UHF channel numbers, so your only recourse is seek
scanning. We had one TV which was very poor about selecting the strongest
signal so we'd sometimes end up with it tuned to a much weaker signal from
Emley Moor in preference to a strong signal from Bilsdale, and the only ways
you could tell that this had happened were a) more dropouts and picture
freezes, b) different regional news.

My PC, running Windows Media Centre and a USB DVB-T adaptor, always takes a
*lot* longer to seek-scan than our TVs and our hard disc recorder, and
that's not because it's scanning parts of the spectrum that aren't used for
TV in the UK, because it starts finding channels fairly soon after it starts
scanning (Bilsdale's muxes are generally at the lower end of the range) but
then takes a long time to find each subsequent mux although all are fairly
close together. Intriguingly it seems to know to stop scanning at the
highest mux and doesn't carry on taking ages to look for muxes in the upper
end of the spectrum.

Old September 22nd 15, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Who the heck knows. Do you have 4G in your area, it might be being
bamboozled by trying to actually find the freeview multiplexes in the first
place.
One thing I have noticed is that sometimes a complete retune will 'lose' a
whole bunch of channels completely. One then gets annoyed and puts the box
back to factory defaults and rescans, whereupon they mysteriously reappear
in about 10 minutes instead of 30.
I think the tuning part of some boxes and sets need looking at given the
most recent conditions in the tv bands.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 22nd 15, 11:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Not all boxes allow you to do this, certainly my old talking goodmans box
seems not to allow it and anyway, joe public would find doing this almost
impossible assuming they understood what was going on inside their tellies.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)

Old September 22nd 15, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Another John wrote:
I needed to retune our Freeview TV(s) to recapture ITV4 - as far as I
could see, the only channel that had gone awol.

Retuning always takes several minutes, but this time our main TV (Sony )
took about 45 minutes before it reached "100%".

Is there a rational explanation for this? I thought that perhaps I
should have taken the aerial feed out of the PVR and put it directly
into the TV for this exercise ...but that doesn't sound logical even to
me.

How to upset a telly

This morning I accidentally connected an unfiltered aerial feed (we live
on high ground and there's loads of txs available) into +40dB amplifier
and then fed the output into a poor hapless Sony TV set. I then did a
factory reset. The telly claimed to have found 488 services but then
said 'No services stored' and displayed 000, and wouldn't respond to any
commands. I turned it off/on and it was OK.

Old September 22nd 15, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Another John wrote:
[...]

Poor TV probably thought it was its birthday - all these channels to choose
from.

At least it didn't do what our old telly at our cottage in Wensleydale did.
If you retuned it, it somehow managed to lock onto tiny signals from Emley
Moor (despite all the hills in the way) instead of the stronger signals from
Bilsdale via an aerial tuned to and pointing at Bilsdale. Not easy to tell
at a glance unless you noticed wrong ITV news (and adverts for Leeds-based
rather than Newcastle-based companies) - and wondered why the picture kept
freezing every few seconds. Sadly our set top box only auto-tuned - you
couldn't key in the UHF channel numbers to do it manually and force a bit of
sanity into it.

Do digital TVs try to select all the muxes from the same transmitter (is
there a list of frequencies for other muxes from same transmitter broadcast
with each mux, rather like the Alternative Frequencies list with RDS radio?)
or can you sometimes end up with a TV tuning to one mux from one transmitter
and another mux from another transmitter where signal strengths from both
transmitters are fairly similar?

Old September 22nd 15, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Another John

OP here. Thanks so far for an interesting and useful discussion for me.

I've already filed away the discussion on Freesat and will read that
soon. I noted (in a skim through) Brian's comment on Freesat ... two
weeks ago that comment would have meant nothing to me, but we spent last
week in deepest Dorset, in a cottage which had Freesat -- interesting!

John
Old September 22nd 15, 08:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

NY wrote:

At least it didn't do what our old telly at our cottage in Wensleydale
did. If you retuned it, it somehow managed to lock onto tiny signals
from Emley Moor (despite all the hills in the way) instead of the
stronger signals from Bilsdale via an aerial tuned to and pointing at
Bilsdale.

Where was that? Somewhere at the foot of the Dale right out towards Leeming?