Retuning the TV - naive question

Old September 23rd 15, 04:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Retuning the TV - naive question

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
NY wrote:

At least it didn't do what our old telly at our cottage in Wensleydale
did. If you retuned it, it somehow managed to lock onto tiny signals from
Emley Moor (despite all the hills in the way) instead of the stronger
signals from Bilsdale via an aerial tuned to and pointing at Bilsdale.

Where was that? Somewhere at the foot of the Dale right out towards
Leeming?

Higher up the dale near Leyburn on the hill that goes over to Swaledale and
Catterick.

Emley was channels 39-52 (before DSO) and Bilsdale was 21-34, and I remember
that at the time we still had an "analogue aerial" (ie tuned to Bilsdale's
group of channels), and Bilsdale is very roughly east of the cottage whereas
Emley is very roughly south (to a rough approximation!), so given the
intervening hills, the 90 degree off-axis aerial and the aerial which was
tuned to attenuate most of Emley's channels, it's a miracle that we received
anything.

Intriguingly, since we got a proper wideband aerial and/or since DSO, we've
not seen Emley's muxes.

I happened to be at the cottage at the time of one of Bilsdale's two DSO
switchovers and I remember being asked to go round to several people's
houses in the village to retune their tellies for them, because "you've got
a technical mind". Come to think of it , it must have been the first DSO
because I had to show each person what they had to do on their set to repeat
the retuning for the second DSO a week (?) later.

Old September 23rd 15, 06:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Furniss[_3_]

NY wrote:

Do digital TVs try to select all the muxes from the same transmitter
(is there a list of frequencies for other muxes from same transmitter
broadcast with each mux, rather like the Alternative Frequencies
list with RDS radio?) or can you sometimes end up with a TV tuning to
one mux from one transmitter and another mux from another transmitter
where signal strengths from both transmitters are fairly similar?

I don't know what TVs do, I guess it varies + they scan.

Using software that doesn't scan to get DVB USB tuners to work under
Linux, I can say that the SD but not HD (or my s/w couldn't get those)
muxes are listed if you tune to one mux. There is also a plain text
Network Name which shows 'East Anglia' for me, so I suppose that would
be different for transmitters serving different regions. I can only see
my main transmitter, so don't know what relays/others look like.

Old September 23rd 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

NY wrote:

Where was that? Somewhere at the foot of the Dale right out towards
Leeming?

Higher up the dale near Leyburn on the hill that goes over to Swaledale
and Catterick.

Oh yes I can understand that, although it is rather surprising isn't it?

The last time I went in the Cross Keys at Bellerby was about thirty
years ago. The pub was run by a rather grumpy old geezer, halped by his
stunning daughter, who I believe was on holiday from uni.

Old September 23rd 15, 10:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 20:53:19 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

The last time I went in the Cross Keys at Bellerby was about thirty
years ago. The pub was run by a rather grumpy old geezer, halped by his
stunning daughter, who I believe was on holiday from uni.

She's probably an old boot by now then.
Old September 24th 15, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Andy
Furniss [email protected] wrote:
NY wrote:

Do digital TVs try to select all the muxes from the same transmitter
(is there a list of frequencies for other muxes from same transmitter
broadcast with each mux, rather like the Alternative Frequencies list
with RDS radio?) or can you sometimes end up with a TV tuning to one
mux from one transmitter and another mux from another transmitter
where signal strengths from both transmitters are fairly similar?

I don't know what TVs do, I guess it varies + they scan.

Using software that doesn't scan to get DVB USB tuners to work under
Linux, I can say that the SD but not HD (or my s/w couldn't get those)
muxes are listed if you tune to one mux.

What software do you mean? If I just want to tune to something I'd use VLC
and that shows the HD OK. However it seems to only show the details of the
mux whose frequency you specified. Are we talking about different things?

FWIW My TV started telling me a rescan was needed again a couple of days
ago. That's the *tenth* rescan it has 'requested' in a period of two
months! I get the impression during that time that QVC have started up
transmissions for themselves! But haven't seen any changes to any of the
stations I'd be interested in.

I wish someone would tell the people organising sic? DVB-T to limit
changes to once per month. Might save a lot a people a lot of fuss.

Old September 24th 15, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 20:53:19 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

The last time I went in the Cross Keys at Bellerby was about thirty
years ago. The pub was run by a rather grumpy old geezer, halped by his
stunning daughter, who I believe was on holiday from uni.

She's probably an old boot by now then.

Shaggable at 18 means shaggable at 58 in my experience.

Old September 24th 15, 03:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

NY wrote:

Where was that? Somewhere at the foot of the Dale right out towards
Leeming?

Higher up the dale near Leyburn on the hill that goes over to Swaledale
and Catterick.

Oh yes I can understand that, although it is rather surprising isn't it?

The last time I went in the Cross Keys at Bellerby was about thirty years
ago.

Ah yes, just down the road from our cottage in Barden. Well, not far across
the fields but quite a long way if you go round by the road.

Old September 24th 15, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Furniss[_3_]

NY wrote:

[...]

The old/depreciated linux "scan" (slightly unfortunate name as it
doesn't really scan like w_scan does).

Historically you would use it with an initial tuning file to get the
channel names/details from the mux(es) and make a channels.conf file.

It was/is possible to give it only the details of one mux in the initial
tuning file and it will manage to get the details of the other DVB-T
(but not T2) muxes from that one. I guess from the NIT (network
information table).

It has now been depreciated by dvbv5-scan likewise the old tzap is
dvbv5-zap. These use the newer API and can handle T2 properly - though
I've found them to be a bit buggy, plus they use/produce different
format tuning/.conf files.

As you have a 290e you don't need dvbv5, but other T2 devices won't work
with the old API. The reason that the 290e does is that it was the first
T2 device supported and the driver will just try T2 if tuning T fails,
so old T2 unaware apps will work.

Personally I use tvheadend so don't really need any of this anyway - I
just plugged the channel details into that (from w_scan).
Old September 24th 15, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
sintv[_2_]

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 10:31:33 PM UTC+1, Another John wrote:
I needed to retune our Freeview TV(s) to recapture ITV4 - as far as I
could see, the only channel that had gone awol.

Retuning always takes several minutes, but this time our main TV (Sony )
took about 45 minutes before it reached "100%".

Is there a rational explanation for this? I thought that perhaps I
should have taken the aerial feed out of the PVR and put it directly
into the TV for this exercise ...but that doesn't sound logical even to
me.

Cheers
J.

Shouldnt it be possible to choose the transmitter itself on a tuning menu. This would work for the majority of customers who can only pick up 1 transmitter or am I missing something
Old September 24th 15, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:31:15 +0100, Andy Furniss [email protected] wrote:

The old/depreciated linux "scan"

It has now been depreciated by dvbv5-scan likewise the old tzap is

The word is DEPRECATED, without an I. Depreciated means something
completely different.