Somehow, the term UHD reminds me of something elseentirely....

Old September 16th 15, 12:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Somehow, the term UHD reminds me of something elseentirely....

September 11, 2015

RELEASE 15-183

NASA, Harmonic Launch First Non-Commercial UHD Channel in North America

NASA is partnering with Harmonic, a worldwide leader in video delivery
infrastructure, to launch NASA TV UHD, the first ever non-commercial
consumer
ultra-high definition (UHD) channel in North America. The partnership is the
result of a Space Act Agreement between Harmonic and the agency's Marshall
Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

Using an end-to-end UHD video delivery system from Harmonic, NASA Television
will have the capability to deliver linear 2160p60 video content, allowing
viewers to enjoy footage on a wide range of television and
internet-connected
devices. The new UHD channel is expected to launch on Nov. 1, following
preliminary tests.

"Partnering with Harmonic gives NASA an outlet for its UHD content, which
has four times the resolution of HD and is the next iteration of digital
television," said Robert Jacobs, deputy associate administrator for
NASA's Office of Communications at the agency's headquarters in
Washington.

Leveraging the 8-megapixel resolution of UHD, the channel will showcase the
breathtaking beauty and grandeur of space. NASA TV UHD video will be sourced
from high-resolution images and video generated on the International Space
Station and other current NASA missions, as well as re-mastered footage from
historical missions.

Harmonic currently is in discussions with pay TV operators to carry the
channel on the satellite, cable and optical networks for consumer access.
The
channel also will stream on the Internet, which will require at least 13
MBps
access connectivity to receive the signal and enjoy the UHD experience.

"As NASA reaches new heights and reveals the unknown, the NASA TV UHD
channel can bring that journey to life in every home. And as organizations
at
the forefront of innovation, together we are leading the adoption of this
exciting technology," said Peter Alexander, chief marketing officer at
Harmonic. "As the leader in UHD development, Harmonic provides a complete
solution for Ultra HD video production and delivery, enabling content and
service providers to offer better video quality at a low total cost of
ownership."

For more information on NASA TV programming, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

-end-

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 16th 15, 07:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:21:47 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

[...]

So what does UHD mean to you?

To me it evokes "milk" but you might have to be a Northerner to
appreciate it.

Somewhere between UHT and LHD (Lancashire Hygienic Dairies).

Then again, it might just be me ;-)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 17th 15, 08:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes exactly that.
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

It has to be said that it only seems a short while ago that Nasa was sing
the praises of 3D content from its missions, and now nobody seems to talk
about 3D TV.
I just wonder if the world really is ready for bandwidth eating channels?
Have a listen to Weird Al's
Franks 2000 inch TV some time.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 17th 15, 08:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 17/09/2015 09:23, Brian-Gaff wrote:
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

They do have milk that tastes like that. They don't call it that
though. In fact they don't make any distinction in the description, so
I suspect that it is recognised by brand name. I wasn't there long
enough to find out.

Old September 17th 15, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles Hope

In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/09/2015 09:23, Brian-Gaff wrote:
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

They do have milk that tastes like that. They don't call it that
though. In fact they don't make any distinction in the description, so
I suspect that it is recognised by brand name. I wasn't there long
enough to find out.

surely the milk is UHT?

Old September 17th 15, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:01:07 +0100, Charles Hope

Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/09/2015 09:23, Brian-Gaff wrote:
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

They do have milk that tastes like that. They don't call it that
though. In fact they don't make any distinction in the description, so
I suspect that it is recognised by brand name. I wasn't there long
enough to find out.

surely the milk is UHT?

It is. Ultra Heat Treatment/Temperature.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old September 17th 15, 11:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/09/2015 09:23, Brian-Gaff wrote:
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

They do have milk that tastes like that. They don't call it that
though. In fact they don't make any distinction in the description, so
I suspect that it is recognised by brand name. I wasn't there long
enough to find out.

surely the milk is UHT?

It is. Ultra Heat Treatment/Temperature.

My brain must have been UHTed.

UHT: Ultra High Temperature.

UHT is sometimes unofficially expanded to Ultra Heat Treatment/Treated.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old September 17th 15, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

Indy Jess John wrote:
On 17/09/2015 09:23, Brian-Gaff wrote:
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

They do have milk that tastes like that. They don't call it that
though. In fact they don't make any distinction in the description, so
I suspect that it is recognised by brand name. I wasn't there long
enough to find out.

surely the milk is UHT?

UHT vs UHD

Maybe you have to be slightly dyslexic to confuse them.

Also in my case there is the additional familiarity with the local
dairy company UHD if it still exists.

Brian's experience shows it's not necessarily a visual phenomenon,
which I find interesting.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 18th 15, 01:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 09:23:35 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Yes exactly that.
However, I suspect the Americans do not have that type of milk.

It has to be said that it only seems a short while ago that Nasa was
sing the praises of 3D content from its missions, and now nobody seems
to talk about 3D TV.
I just wonder if the world really is ready for bandwidth eating
channels?
Have a listen to Weird Al's Franks 2000 inch TV some time.
Brian

Yes, another of Weird Al Yankovic's 'parody' tracks, "I can't Watch
This!" is almost back on topic in regard to the travesty of 'Choice'
offered by FreeView. You can listen to it here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HaZvJZaiYQ

--
Johnny B Good
Old September 18th 15, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Yes, that was the whole point. It sounded similar to it.
UHF Hogging Disaster tv is something else I'm sure.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active