Horizon disappointing

Old September 10th 15, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Default Horizon disappointing

Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the universes
dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have been dealt with
in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost an hour going over the
same stuff apparently with some arty farty pointless animations and lots of
choral singing and people who sounded like they were talking down
drainpipes.

What a mess.
Talk about stringing it out. There was nothing new in it over what I could
have read five years ago, and apart from the bloke and his aussie aerial
array, which could have been explained in more detail, it was just
scientists that sound like scientists with dodgy accents and a few Aussies.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 10th 15, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Brian-Gaff
writes
Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the universes
dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have been dealt with
in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost an hour going over the
same stuff apparently with some arty farty pointless animations and lots of
choral singing and people who sounded like they were talking down
drainpipes.

What a mess.
Talk about stringing it out. There was nothing new in it over what I could
have read five years ago, and apart from the bloke and his aussie aerial
array, which could have been explained in more detail, it was just
scientists that sound like scientists with dodgy accents and a few Aussies.
Brian

These days, I'm finding that I can't bear to watch Horizon (and many
other 'scientific' and nature programmes). Almost without exception, the
commentary/presentation is in patronising, soporific couplets (any
sentence of more than half a dozen words has a 'meaningful' pause
between a third and half way through). An hour programme could easily be
edited down to less than 20 minutes. When the programme's on an
independent channel, I almost welcome the excitement of the adverts.

--
Ian
Old September 10th 15, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall[_2_]

In message , Brian-Gaff
writes
Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the
universes dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have
been dealt with in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost
an hour going over the same stuff apparently with some arty farty
pointless animations and lots of choral singing and people who sounded
like they were talking down drainpipes.

snip

Yes, very disappointing. I know that Horizon has been dumbing down for
many years now, but this seemed to reach a new low. What ball-bearings
rolling about on a floor were supposed to tell us about the forces
operating in very diffuse clouds of hydrogen I can't imagine
--
John Hall
"Honest criticism is hard to take,
Old September 10th 15, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , Brian-Gaff
writes
Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the
universes dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have
been dealt with in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost an
hour going over the same stuff apparently with some arty farty
pointless animations and lots of choral singing and people who sounded
like they were talking down drainpipes.

What a mess. Talk about stringing it out. There was nothing new in it
over what I could have read five years ago, and apart from the bloke and
his aussie aerial array, which could have been explained in more detail,
it was just scientists that sound like scientists with dodgy accents
and a few Aussies. Brian

These days, I'm finding that I can't bear to watch Horizon (and many
other 'scientific' and nature programmes). Almost without exception, the
commentary/presentation is in patronising, soporific couplets (any
sentence of more than half a dozen words has a 'meaningful' pause
between a third and half way through). An hour programme could easily be
edited down to less than 20 minutes. When the programme's on an
independent channel, I almost welcome the excitement of the adverts.

some 40 years ago, I had to visit the former BBC Science Correspondent who
couldn't get Ceefax on BBC2. It wasn't really surprising since the picture
was mostly noise - as a result of having about 20m of VHF coax feeding it
(so that the set could be taken into the garden). When I said "that's not
a very good picture", he said "I wouldn't know, I'm only a journalist".
Presumably, he became Science Correspondent by being able to pronounce the
words.

--
Please note new email address:

Old September 10th 15, 10:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 10/09/2015 10:15, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the universes
dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have been dealt with
in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost an hour going over the
same stuff apparently with some arty farty pointless animations and lots of
choral singing and people who sounded like they were talking down
drainpipes.

What a mess.
Talk about stringing it out. There was nothing new in it over what I could
have read five years ago, and apart from the bloke and his aussie aerial
array, which could have been explained in more detail, it was just
scientists that sound like scientists with dodgy accents and a few Aussies.
Brian

Very early in the program I switched over to another channel without
bothering to hit the record button on my PVR. Too many of these
programs have virtually zero real content.

If finding the worst type of 'factual' program is where they spend 30
minutes detailing some crackpot theory where the intelligent viewer is
probably starting to think that this sounds more and more like a lot of
b*****s. The producers will, in the last 5 minutes, say that this theory
was discredited 50 years ago and the real facts are.... with no time to
explain why.

Old September 10th 15, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:15:28 +0100
"Brian-Gaff" wrote:
Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the universes
dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have been dealt with
in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost an hour going over the
same stuff apparently with some arty farty pointless animations and lots of
choral singing and people who sounded like they were talking down
drainpipes.

Science programming on the BBC has been like that for years. The only
exception is the Sky At Night which presumably because of its miniscule
budget has to get to the point and can't afford 45 mins of CGI & flannel.

Contrast with arts or history programming where all the stops are pulled out
and you get so many facts thrown at you you'd need to write them down to
remember them all. I think it rather shows that the current crop at the BBC
really don't take science seriously, or are scared of it. Still, at least
they try, which is more than ITV can be arsed to do. Even C4 doesn't do much
these days either.

--
Spud

Old September 10th 15, 11:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

I generally avoid mainstream broadcast documentaries these days for
precisely this reason. If I actually want to know about something I
head for YouTube. There's a lot of utter dross of course, but the gems
are worth searching for. A good science video of ten minutes or less
can usually put its point across in less time than a typical BBC
documentary spends using elaborate computer graphics, jumpy editing
and loud but irrelevant music, simply to introduce itself and tell us
what the rest of the programme is going to be about.

Rod.

Old September 10th 15, 11:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Mc[_3_]

Brian-Gaff wrote:
: Last night there was supposed to be a Horizon talking about the universes
: dark ages and all that stuff. The actual content could have been dealt with
: in about 15 minutes. Instead it rambled on for almost an hour going over the
: same stuff apparently with some arty farty pointless animations and lots of
: choral singing and people who sounded like they were talking down
: drainpipes.

: What a mess.

They did EXACTLY the same, I thought, last week with the "Multiple
Parallel Universes" edition. Lots of nice music, balloons floating on
lakes, etc. etc. - no real science!