OT, Periscope TV

Old July 25th 15, 04:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

Default OT, Periscope TV

A person I "Follow" on Twitter is now using something called Periscope TV on
her Mobile and it comes up on her Twitter as a video recording.
It is obvious that people were viewing live and commenting during it by
means of typed "chat"

Anyone know of this Periscope system and is there a download of the system
into my Windows desktop?
Regards
David

Old July 25th 15, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 17:13:40 +0100, "David" wrote:

A person I "Follow" on Twitter is now using something called Periscope TV on
her Mobile and it comes up on her Twitter as a video recording.
It is obvious that people were viewing live and commenting during it by
means of typed "chat"

Anyone know of this Periscope system and is there a download of the system
into my Windows desktop?
Regards
David

I don't know.
FWIW, if I needed to do something like that (which I don't) I would
use the Ustream app on a smartphone and post the URL of your channel
on social media. It's not quite live, about 30 seconds delay IIRC.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old July 25th 15, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 25/07/2015 17:13, David wrote:
A person I "Follow" on Twitter is now using something called Periscope
TV on her Mobile and it comes up on her Twitter as a video recording.
It is obvious that people were viewing live and commenting during it by
means of typed "chat"

Anyone know of this Periscope system and is there a download of the
system into my Windows desktop?
Regards
David

If you Google for "Periscope TV", you'll get lots of hits. Here's just one:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/go...droid-3613985/

I know nothing about it (and am not sure I want to!), but it appears to
run on smartphones - first Apple and now Android. I've no idea whether
it runs on Windows, but I doubt it - or maybe there'll be a Windows
Phone version?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old July 25th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 17:13:40 +0100, "David" wrote:

A person I "Follow" on Twitter is now using something called Periscope TV on
her Mobile and it comes up on her Twitter as a video recording.
It is obvious that people were viewing live and commenting during it by
means of typed "chat"

Anyone know of this Periscope system and is there a download of the system
into my Windows desktop?
Regards
David

I've heard about it but don't know anything about it. This is the
website:
https://www.periscope.tv/

The version from Google Play:

Requires Android 4.4 and up

The version from the Apple App Sto

Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod
touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6
Plus.

No sign of a PC version.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old July 26th 15, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 25/07/2015 17:13, David wrote:
A person I "Follow" on Twitter is now using something called Periscope
TV on her Mobile and it comes up on her Twitter as a video recording.
It is obvious that people were viewing live and commenting during it by
means of typed "chat"

Anyone know of this Periscope system and is there a download of the
system into my Windows desktop?

Doesn't work that way, someone who is transmitting imagines from their
phone sends a link on their Twitter or Facebook account. You click on
that link, and providing your PC/laptop/phone etc has all the relevant
codecs installed (don't ask me which ones) you see the broadcast.

Jeremy Vine broadcast a discussion about the application using his
iphone during his Radio 2 show (Yes I know, I really don't know why I
was listening !). They stuck a link on the Radio 2 website, I clicked on
it, and viewed the broadcast on my lap top. Worked very well, it lagged
behind the radio broadcast by about 15-20 seconds. Not sure what use it
is, but hey, I said that about SMS texts in 1997.

--
Mark
Old July 26th 15, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Mark Carver wrote:

David wrote:

something called Periscope

Not sure what use it is

A colleague was building a new quadcopter (this third I think) and
broadcast the process on Periscope, I can't remember how many viewers he
claimed to have, but it was in the low hundreds I think ... how they
discovered this "event" I have no idea.

Old July 26th 15, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 26/07/2015 11:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

David wrote:

something called Periscope

Not sure what use it is

A colleague was building a new quadcopter (this third I think) and
broadcast the process on Periscope, I can't remember how many viewers he
claimed to have, but it was in the low hundreds I think ... how they
discovered this "event" I have no idea.

The Periscope image you see has a counter showing the number of viewers.
Vine's Radio 2 demo peaked at about 450 IIRC

--
Mark
Old July 27th 15, 10:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 11:28:40 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

Not sure what use it
is, but hey, I said that about SMS texts in 1997.

So did the GSM system developers. They never expected it to be more
than a trivial function.