Is there HD and HD?

Old July 23rd 15, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default Is there HD and HD?

I've noticed a couple of things with (Freesat) HD:

On, e.g., Countryfile, the pieces to camera during intros and in buildings
are good; the pieces 'out in the countryside' seem almost like upscaled SD
at best

When deleting an HD recording, an hour from BBC goes more quickly than the
same from C4 or ITV. This suggests a difference in file size. I haven't
really quantified it, but it's noticeable.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old July 23rd 15, 02:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"PeterC" wrote in message
I've noticed a couple of things with (Freesat) HD:

On, e.g., Countryfile, the pieces to camera during intros and in buildings
are good; the pieces 'out in the countryside' seem almost like upscaled SD
at best

When deleting an HD recording, an hour from BBC goes more quickly than the
same from C4 or ITV. This suggests a difference in file size. I haven't
really quantified it, but it's noticeable.

I've only just got a DVB-T2 USB adaptor for my Windows Media Centre PC, so
I've not had chance to make many recordings yet to compare file sizes, but I
know that what you say is true with SD: recordings from BBC channels are
larger than those from ITV1/CH4, despite being the same resolution.
Obviously recordings from Drama, Yesterday and (at some times of day) ITV3
are smaller still, but they use lower resolution 544x576 rather than
704x576.

I think that, for the same resolution, ITV compress their data to a lower
bit rate.

Old July 23rd 15, 02:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

PeterC wrote:

I've noticed a couple of things with (Freesat) HD:

On, e.g., Countryfile, the pieces to camera during intros and in buildings
are good; the pieces 'out in the countryside' seem almost like upscaled SD
at best

When deleting an HD recording, an hour from BBC goes more quickly than the
same from C4 or ITV. This suggests a difference in file size. I haven't
really quantified it, but it's noticeable.

When HD first appeared, there was more than a little concern
about programme content which had been "artistically" manipulated
with various techniques such as "filmic" effects, thus negating
some of the supposed advantages of HD.

The official response was along the lines of "We know best, and
we don't necessarily want all HD to look the same."

Personally, I would prefer to make any adjustments at my end, in
the same way that I can adjust tone controls to my own
preference.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old July 23rd 15, 02:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"PeterC" wrote in message

When deleting an HD recording, an hour from BBC goes more quickly than
the
same from C4 or ITV. This suggests a difference in file size. I haven't
really quantified it, but it's noticeable.

I've only just got a DVB-T2 USB adaptor for my Windows Media Centre PC, so
I've not had chance to make many recordings yet to compare file sizes, but
I know that what you say is true with SD: recordings from BBC channels are
larger than those from ITV1/CH4, despite being the same resolution.
Obviously recordings from Drama, Yesterday and (at some times of day) ITV3
are smaller still, but they use lower resolution 544x576 rather than
704x576.

I think that, for the same resolution, ITV compress their data to a lower
bit rate.

I've now made test recordings: a 5-minute recording from BBC One HD is 208
MB and a 5-minute one from ITV1 HD is 162 MB. VideoRedo says that the bit
rates are 5.7 and 4.5 Mbps respectively.

This is for terrestrial rather than satellite, but the principle is probably
the same though the figures will differ: I believe that terrestrial and
satellite do not use identical data streams but instead two separate streams
are generated from the much higher data-rate broadcast master; also, even
for the same platform (eg terrestrial) the rate allocated to any given
channel varying according to how much data is needed by other channels in
the same multiplex (statistical multiplexing).

Old July 23rd 15, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
NY wrote:

I've now made test recordings: a 5-minute recording from BBC One HD is 208
MB and a 5-minute one from ITV1 HD is 162 MB. VideoRedo says that the bit
rates are 5.7 and 4.5 Mbps respectively.

This is for terrestrial rather than satellite, but the principle is probably
the same though the figures will differ

I seem to recall it being said here some years ago that it was the
other way round for satellite because the BBC's principle of "platform
neutrality" prevented it from making use of the relatively cheap
satellite bandwidth to provide better quality than terrestrial.

-- Richard
Old July 23rd 15, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:03:07 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"PeterC" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Which is the opposite of what OP is reporting !
Old July 23rd 15, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

I thought it was the other way around from comments when they started.
Luckily it matters not to me. However there does seem to be a drive on to
flog tvs with even better resolution than can be transmitted, which seems a
total waste of time and money!

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old July 23rd 15, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles Hope

In article , Brian-Gaff
wrote:
I thought it was the other way around from comments when they started.
Luckily it matters not to me. However there does seem to be a drive on to
flog tvs with even better resolution than can be transmitted, which
seems a total waste of time and money!

they are for home playback of prerecorded material.