Is there HD and HD?

Old July 24th 15, 05:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Is there HD and HD?

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:24:28 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

I don't understand the point in making programs in HD when they are
covered in misty effects to make then look period.

Film scratch effects and jumpy motion are pointless in any definition.

The stupidity of media types wanting to make things look 'old'.
I've seen things aged after only a couple of minutes (on sport usually).
It always strikes me as completely ****ing stupid, but I'm not an arty
farty director/producer type.

The most hilarious example of fake (and inappropriate) aging was on a
documentary about the Iranian Embassy Siege in London. Whenever they showed
the archive footage of the SAS jumping from parapet to parapet and the
explosions of the stun grenades (very obviously shot with tube video cameras
because you could see all the classic artefacts like lag and blooming on
highlights, and anyway every knows it was originally broadcast almost-live)
the documentary maker had applied very poor film-effect changes to gamma and
(wait for it) fake film scratches and dirt - obviously someone was paying
with the stock effects in Adobe Premiere :-)

Another documentary that included archive footage of something had
distinguished it from modern talking-heads footage by applying a sort of
venetian blind effect with every alternate line of the archive video being a
black line.

Old July 24th 15, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 24/07/2015 08:45, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
IIRC BBC broadcasts in QAM16 and ITV etc. in QAM64. This may explain why the raw files are different sizes.

That controls how the bits are sent over the air, and not how many bits
there are.

Andy
Old July 25th 15, 10:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 24/07/2015 17:15, Andy Furniss wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 24/07/2015 08:45, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I think that, for the same resolution, ITV compress their data to a
lower
bit rate.

IIRC BBC broadcasts in QAM16 and ITV etc. in QAM64. This may explain
why the raw files are different sizes.

All T1 muxes have run at 64QAM ever since DSO, so all five so called SD
muxes each have a payload of around 24 Mb/s

Yes, well, apart from the three that are 27 :-)

code rate
2/3 = 24
3/4 = 27

Ha, yes, I'd forgotten COM mux payloads are subject to inflation !

--
Mark
Old July 25th 15, 11:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Well, that must be a 'huge ' market, no I reckon its probably going to be
because online streams might go this way. Gawd help normal internet traffic
is all I'd say.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Charles Hope" wrote in message
In article , Brian-Gaff
wrote:
I thought it was the other way around from comments when they started.
Luckily it matters not to me. However there does seem to be a drive on to
flog tvs with even better resolution than can be transmitted, which
seems a total waste of time and money!

they are for home playback of prerecorded material.

Old July 25th 15, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

Netflix are already streaming 4K in the UK. I've seen a bit of House of
Cards. I was impressed.

Brian-Gaff wrote:
Well, that must be a 'huge ' market, no I reckon its probably going
to be because online streams might go this way. Gawd help normal
internet traffic is all I'd say.
Brian

In article , Brian-Gaff
wrote:
I thought it was the other way around from comments when they
started. Luckily it matters not to me. However there does seem to
be a drive on to flog tvs with even better resolution than can be
transmitted, which seems a total waste of time and money!

they are for home playback of prerecorded material.

Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old July 26th 15, 07:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

BT are launching a 4K ultra HD sports channel next week.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...t-top-box.html

--

Jeff

Old July 31st 15, 08:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 24/07/2015 11:24, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
critcher wrote in
:

I don't understand the point in making programs in HD when they are
covered in misty effects to make then look period.

Film scratch effects and jumpy motion are pointless in any definition.

But how would viewers know that the past was being portrayed if it
wasn't for the film scratch effects or the 405 line effect for TV images?

Old July 31st 15, 08:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 26/07/2015 08:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
BT are launching a 4K ultra HD sports channel next week.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...t-top-box.html

Then they will find that the bandwidth usage is too high resulting in
more compression giving an end result equivalent to what digital SD
definition should have given us in the first place.

Old July 31st 15, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham Murray

alan_m writes:

But how would viewers know that the past was being portrayed if it
wasn't for the film scratch effects or the 405 line effect for TV
images?

The presence of the sepia tint.