Pinging Brian Gaff: Ofcom EPG consultation for the visually impaired

Old July 22nd 15, 10:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Default Pinging Brian Gaff: Ofcom EPG consultation for the visually impaired

From Ofcom's mailing list:

Ofcom has today published a consultation on ways to make on-screen TV
guides more accessible to visually impaired people. Previous research
suggests people with visual impairments watch a similar amount of TV as
other people.

On-screen TV guides (known as electronic programme guides, or EPGs) help
people plan their viewing and discover new programmes. But people with
visual impairments can find them difficult to use.

Following a call for inputs, and feedback from stakeholders including
the RNIB and EPG providers, Ofcom is proposing that EPG providers work
with manufacturers to provide better accessibility features, enabling
viewers to:

have EPG information on channels, programmes and navigation menus
read out as speech, to help them navigate the EPG and choose programmes
to watch or record;
magnify parts of the EPG display, or increase the size of text, to
make it easier to read;
highlight or list separately programmes with audio description or
signing, making these programmes easier to find; and
view the EPG in a high contrast display.

The closing date for responses is 30 September 2015.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/epg-accessibility/?utm_source=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign= epg-accessibility-condoc-jul15

--
Mark
Old July 22nd 15, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

The daft part is that this surely has been done, and now lost.
Both tvonics and Goodmans produced set top boxes/pvrs with this facility
years ago, and now both are obsolete. I know Panasonic and Samsung use
similar tech in their tvs, but only on smart tvs at the high end of the
range.
What we want is affordable sound only solutions. I do not need toa tv.
Also I would really appreciate dvds that all had talking menus selectable in
a common agreed fashion. This was demonstrated over 10 years ago.

So really, Are offcom admitting that this back to zero problem has
happened, or are they just going over old ground?
It is not particularly difficult to do any of this according to the
various companies, just a bit more memory and a slightly faster processor
running a form of Linux has been able to do it for many years. However the
rush to get out new models every few months seems to have just left this
stuff behind, U view in particular suffers from this.

Sat tellies especially Sky, and cable boxes from Virgin are getting really
out of date in this area, mostly only offering large text and contrast
changes
Most catch up services still do not have Ad selectable from tv menus
either, and some not even via a computer.
It is not rocket science and is often appreciated by those with poor vision
as well as the blind, now that really nice sounding voices are here.
Also what about text. We have no access to text services on tvs and yet,
back in the days of Oracle, we could have the text read out by a 50 quid add
on box.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old July 22nd 15, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Brian, I think most here already understand your problems and
sympathise with them, but, no matter how justified your complaints,
repeating them here is not likely to change anything very much. You
need to be saying all this in a response to the Ofcom Consultation.

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:04:30 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

[Big Snip]
Old July 22nd 15, 12:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I always assume new readers are about, hence the repeats. sorry just skip
them if you know what they are.
Their audio item is hugely long at 1 hour 25 mins, and the web site itself
is not that clever in some places.
As we run a talking newspaper, we need some snappy stuff that won't send
people to sleep, and I've pointed this out to these people previously.

Still, its a start. I wonder how many decades it will take to get us back to
where we were on freview at launch?
Cynic mode off.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Java Jive" wrote in message
Brian, I think most here already understand your problems and
sympathise with them, but, no matter how justified your complaints,
repeating them here is not likely to change anything very much. You
need to be saying all this in a response to the Ofcom Consultation.

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:04:30 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

[Big Snip]

Old July 22nd 15, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:59:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Still, its a start. I wonder how many decades it will take to get us back to
where we were on freview at launch?
Cynic mode off.

You would probably be best advised to keep cynic mode on. Companies
are naturally more interested in money than in being public spirited,
unless they can get some publicity out of a gimmick that's easy to add
to something they already make. I expect a lot of added features seem
more impressive when described than when actually put to use.

I've sometimes pondered how I would cope walking along the street
without the aid of sight, and thought that a genuinely useful thing to
invent would be a dog**** detector, but that's not very trendy, so I
doubt that anybody has envisaged a sufficiently lucrative market for
it. Maybe if they decided the primary market was for pushchairs (which
sometimes have to be stowed in hallways and backs of cars), and made
something that could be linked by bluetooth to a smartphone app, that
could be a way of making more people want it.

Old July 22nd 15, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Wednesday, 22 July 2015 16:09:33 UTC+1, Roderick Stewart wrote:
I've sometimes pondered how I would cope walking along the street
without the aid of sight, and thought that a genuinely useful thing to
invent would be a dog**** detector, ... linked by bluetooth to a
smartphone app, that could be a way of making more people want it.

They'd probably use an inaccessible app on an inaccessible smartphone with facebook integration as the primary market would be yummy mummies and they wouldn't understand why blind people would want such a device.

After all, all blind people have guide dogs and they can be trained to avoid the dog**** just like they know the way to the post office and can read the bus numbers.

Owain