Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

Old July 25th 15, 11:04 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default Red buuton advert BBC R2 today

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:42:11 +0100
Peter Duncanson wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:14:34 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:51:20 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , David
writes:
I'm after the Text to read news and weather, do not know it's name
it's the Text that replaced Ceefax.
Regards
David
[]
This morning at the end of a BBC promo the lady said press the
RED button on
any BBC TV program.
The red button on my Samsung UHD Smart TV on 107 BBC News the Red
button does nothing.
Was the BBC promo wrong or is my TV got a problem?
[]
The BBC promo, if by that you mean being told to press the red
button, was wrong - IF what she said is that's how you get the text
pages for news and weather etcetera. The red button gives access to
alternative programming; as others have said, that often just
switches to channel 601. (Sometimes there are several of them, all
around there - I believe Wimbledon is a case in point.)

To get the equivalent of the old teletext (though it isn't just a
40×24 text system any more), you press a different button: on my
remote, it's labelled TEXT. After a little delay, you'll get a menu
at the right of the current programme, which you then navigate
into. It has delays you'll find familiar if you used teletext.

On both my Humax PVR and my Toshiba TV set, if there is no
alternative programming being broadcast, as right now, then both the
Red Button and Text button produce the same Red Button menu. The
Text button is for me the way to exit the Red Button programming.
That may be different when there is special programming, I know about
the extra Sports and Glastonbury channels, but otherwise, they both
lead to the same thing. And as I said before, any page can be
addressed directly by page number.
Red Button does not work, as mentioned, on Ch. 107.

On my Humax (Freeview) PVR and my Samsung TV the red button and the
Text button on the remote have exactly the same effect: the "bridge"
menu is displayed. The top item in that menu is currently "Asian
Network Prom". Selecting that switches to Ch601. The other items on
the menu are text services. Selecting one of those displays the text
but stays on the current BBC channel.

Which raises the question:
Why is the British Broadcasting Corporation showing an Asian Network
Prom?
But yes, the Red Button and the Text button do the same thing.

--
Davey.

Old July 25th 15, 11:21 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles Hope

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:51:20 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , David
writes:
[...]

Possibly because it's the BBC Asian network? It's Prom no 8 - recorded on
Wednesday night.
-

Old July 25th 15, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 08:51:20 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

In message , David
writes:
[...]

Because it was one of the BBC Henry Wood Promenade Concerts this year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06305vx

The BBC Asian Network is one of the BBC radio stations broadcasting in
the UK alongside Radio 1, 2, 3, etc. On Freeview it is on Ch 709,
between 708 (Radio 4 Extra) and 710 (World Service)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Asian_Network

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old July 25th 15, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian-Gaff

Said menu is inaccessible to blind people then, as one suspects its a text
service and as far as I can tell, no current receiver offers text to speech
for the text services on freeview.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
Brian, pressing the red button while on for example the BBC1 channel
will display a text menu for the Red Button Service on top of the normal
video for the programme currently being broadcast. That menu gives a
choice of text pages covering news, sport, weather and other things. One
of the items in the menu will take you away from the current channel to
the so-called Red Button channel, number 601, which carries video and
audio.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 16:51:18 +0100, "Brian-Gaff"
wrote:

I don't get this red button stuff, when you go around the channels a
channel
is called red button with nothing audible, but a channel up in the 600s
clearly has stuff on it which is supposed to be what was on the red
button.
Of course pressing said button only gives me silence.

Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Old July 25th 15, 12:17 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Davey
writes:
[]
On both my Humax PVR and my Toshiba TV set, if there is no alternative
programming being broadcast, as right now, then both the Red Button and
Text button produce the same Red Button menu. The Text button is for me
the way to exit the Red Button programming.

Presumably then when there _is_ alternative programming being broadcast,
the red button does something different?

That may be different when there is special programming, I know about
the extra Sports and Glastonbury channels, but otherwise, they both
lead to the same thing. And as I said before, any page can be addressed
directly by page number.

(I presume you're using the same buttons you use to select a numbered
channel, so presumably have to get into and out of "text mode".)

Is there an (presumably online) available list of the numbers? Like you
used to be able to pick up preprinted teletext guides in the better
telly shops? (I think Weather is still in the four hundreds.)

Red Button does not work, as mentioned, on Ch. 107.

(Is that the one where the test card is hidden, or has that finally
ceased?)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

A man does not have to be an angel in order to be saint.
Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)
Old July 25th 15, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:17:52 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

That may be different when there is special programming, I know about
the extra Sports and Glastonbury channels, but otherwise, they both
lead to the same thing. And as I said before, any page can be
addressed directly by page number.

(I presume you're using the same buttons you use to select a numbered
channel, so presumably have to get into and out of "text mode".)

Is there an (presumably online) available list of the numbers? Like
you used to be able to pick up preprinted teletext guides in the
better telly shops? (I think Weather is still in the four hundreds.)

1. Press the Red Button or Text button.
2. Once the main menus screen is showing, press: 9 9 9 0 OK buttons.
3. Read the Red Button Help now displayed. It will supply answers to
most of these questions.

--
Davey.
Old July 25th 15, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Davey
writes:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:17:52 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

[]
Is there an (presumably online) available list of the numbers? Like
you used to be able to pick up preprinted teletext guides in the
better telly shops? (I think Weather is still in the four hundreds.)

1. Press the Red Button or Text button.
2. Once the main menus screen is showing, press: 9 9 9 0 OK buttons.
3. Read the Red Button Help now displayed. It will supply answers to
most of these questions.

Thanks for that arcane information!

I see they say they try to use the same numbers that were on the old
Teletext, with four-digit numbers for any that weren't.

I'd still like a cribsheet though (though I suppose if the above is the
case an old teletext one would do, though it wouldn't show the new
pages.)

Do any of the non-BBC channels "do" text?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

If you don't know how to orient your card to swipe it through the reader, the
checkout person will say, "Strip down, face toward me." (DNRC newsletter 1997)
Old July 25th 15, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 21:01:46 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message , Davey
writes:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:17:52 +0100
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

[]
Is there an (presumably online) available list of the numbers? Like
you used to be able to pick up preprinted teletext guides in the
better telly shops? (I think Weather is still in the four hundreds.)

1. Press the Red Button or Text button.
2. Once the main menus screen is showing, press: 9 9 9 0 OK buttons.
3. Read the Red Button Help now displayed. It will supply answers to
most of these questions.

Thanks for that arcane information!

I see they say they try to use the same numbers that were on the old
Teletext, with four-digit numbers for any that weren't.

I'd still like a cribsheet though (though I suppose if the above is the
case an old teletext one would do, though it wouldn't show the new
pages.)

Do any of the non-BBC channels "do" text?

Not that I've noticed apart from the "Data Service" (non-video/audio)
channels such as Holidays TV (C201), Rabbit (Ch202), Gay Rabbit (Ch203),
1-2-1 Dating (Ch204), Kiss Me TV (Ch207) and Proud Dating (Ch208).

They all have options selectable with buttons on the remote.

The most similar to teletext news is Holidays TV. It has many pages of
information.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)