What units?

Old July 21st 15, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default What units?

+ACI-Paul Cummins+ACI- +ADw-agree2pay4uce+AEA-spam.vlaad.co.uk+AD4- wrote in message
+AD4- In article +ADw-s8trqaldt1sq6cfrl4u8p1m3tno917lpdb+AEA-4ax.com+AD4-, me+AEA-privacy.net
+AD4- (Chris Hogg) wrote:
+AD4-
+AD4APg- It really irritates me when text written with imperial units has then
+AD4APg- been metricated, and says things like 'the two points were roughly a
+AD4APg- yard (0.914 metres) apart', or 'we had to drive about a mile (1.609
+AD4APg- kilometres) further'. If it's approximately an imperial unit then
+AD4APg- give an approximate metric unit, not an exact conversion,
+AD4-
+AD4- I'm of a generation that grew up with Metric in the schoolroom and
+AD4- Imperial in the home. This included money - my parents would still think
+AD4- of things in terms of shillings and blame inflation on the Decimal system.
+AD4- Even now my mother states that in 1971, Unleaded petrol was only a couple
+AD4- of shillings a gallon, and diesel was tuppence ha'penny cheaper... until
+AD4- I point out that Unleaded was only introduced in the 1980's, and Diesel
+AD4- didn't make it to the common people much earlier.
+AD4-
+AD4- Anyway, this means that if I am thrown a figure in one system I can
+AD4- normally convert in my head to a reasonable approximation of the other in
+AD4- real time. I am sure this is not unique - but have the younger (+ADw-35)
+AD4- generation not learned both?
+AD4-
+AD4- --
+AD4- Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
+AD4- Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
+AD4- Please Help us dispose of unwanted virtual currency:
+AD4- Bitcoin: 1LzAJBqzoaEudhsZ14W7YrdYSmLZ5m1seZ
+AD4-

In 1961 Mobil Special (Octane 87) was 4/10d per gallon

Old July 21st 15, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles Hope

In article ,
Paul Cummins wrote:
In article , (Phi) wrote:

In 1961 Mobil Special (Octane 87) was 4/10d per gallon

^^^^^^^

That's 1 star... did they misspell "****e" ? :-)

even my Anglia didn't like it.