What units?

Old July 29th 15, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

Default What units?

In message , brightside S9
writes
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 09:17:58 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:56:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:

I was 7 at the time and I can remember on D day walking up the road to the
newsagent (now closed down like most of the shops on that parade) to buy my
comic - but now paying for it with new pence rather than pennies. Somewhere
I still have the china mug that each one of us was given by school which had
a conversion table for common amounts like 6d, 1s, 1/6, 2s etc.

I remember it as a big fuss about nothing. The silver coins that had
been in circulation for some time all looked the same and had the same
values as the old ones, and it was several days before I bought
anything that required the use of any copper ones. And life just
carried on as before.

Well apart from stuff costing 10d going to 5p within weeks of the
change over. The half pance lasted about 3 weeks on the market stalls
in my local town.

This sort of rounding-up is maybe sort-of acceptable (even though it IS
an increase of 20%). However, I recall that things like a 1s 3d bottle
of tomato sauce rapidly became priced at 13p (spot the apparent
similarity, but the real nearly 100% price rise).

--
Ian
Old July 29th 15, 08:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 29/07/2015 19:23, Ian Jackson wrote:
This sort of rounding-up is maybe sort-of acceptable (even though it IS
an increase of 20%). However, I recall that things like a 1s 3d bottle
of tomato sauce rapidly became priced at 13p (spot the apparent
similarity, but the real nearly 100% price rise).

It still bugs me that when we went metric a quart tried to become a
litre, but a 2lb loaf still hasn't made it up to a kilo.

Andy
Old July 30th 15, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

The annoying bit is where they always round up when adding VAT, but
HMRC always round down. Fractions of a penny profit but they soon add
up - as in that Richard Prior film of many years ago.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com