The Colour Television Receiver

Old June 14th 15, 06:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Charles Hope

Default The Colour Television Receiver

In article ,
Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

But wasn't PAL a German development that just happened to be used by
the UK first ?

Yes and no.

Pal B/G is the German system. Pal I is the UK system, and it is superior
because it has more 500kHz bandwidth for picture.

Those are the transmiited systems. In the studio it was just PAL.

Old June 14th 15, 06:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Paul
Cummins scribeth thus
In article ,
() wrote:

But wasn't PAL a German development that just happened to be used by
the UK first ?

Yes and no.

Pal B/G is the German system. Pal I is the UK system, and it is superior
because it has more 500kHz bandwidth for picture.

I think there're referring the PAL alternate line concept the one
developed by Brauch at Telefunken....
--
Tony Sayer

Old June 14th 15, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 14:33:43 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Brian-Gaff
escribió:

However when the first Sony semi portables came in, there was a lot of
complaints of aircraft changing colours of faces etc. I understand the
early ones were just bodged up ntsc sets

NTSC: Never Twice the Same Colour.

The UK's PAL system is far superior as it cancels out colour errors
caused by phase distortion.

Not entirely true. It didn't cancel out "colour errors", it swapped the
most objectionable phase mediated error form, colour hue shift, for a far
less objectionable error form, colour saturation level shift.

--
Johnny B Good
Old June 14th 15, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

Johnny B Good Wrote in message:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 14:33:43 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo , Brian-Gaff
escribió:

However when the first Sony semi portables came in, there was a lot of
complaints of aircraft changing colours of faces etc. I understand the
early ones were just bodged up ntsc sets

NTSC: Never Twice the Same Colour.

The UK's PAL system is far superior as it cancels out colour errors
caused by phase distortion.

Not entirely true. It didn't cancel out "colour errors", it swapped the
most objectionable phase mediated error form, colour hue shift, for a far
less objectionable error form, colour saturation level shift.

--
Johnny B Good

And as the level of the burst was similarly reduced a simple AGC
(ACC) circuit can correct the level.

I knew of one chassis that didn't implement ACC at all, and I
found it very useful for aligning channel filters without a
spectrum analyser.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old June 14th 15, 09:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
Hmm, well I'd have thought a better copy than this ought to have been
available. There are lots of places where it has apparently had lumps cut
out of it, presumably it has been or damaged.

As a matter of interest, what video recording system would this have been
recorded on before its transfer to Youtube? When (roughly) was the last
transmission of it - would have been late enough to be recorded on VHS,
Betamax or V2000? There is very low horizontal detail and a lot of colour
shifting - worse than a typical VHS recording, so maybe it's a previous
format like that Phillips system that used square cassettes with one spool
above the other (like an over-sized Super 8 film cassette), or maybe it was
recorded on an open-reel format.

Old June 14th 15, 09:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_4_]

escribió:

However when the first Sony semi portables came in, there was a lot of
complaints of aircraft changing colours of faces etc. I understand the
early ones were just bodged up ntsc sets

NTSC: Never Twice the Same Colour.

The UK's PAL system is far superior as it cancels out colour errors
caused by phase distortion.

Not entirely true. It didn't cancel out "colour errors", it swapped the
most objectionable phase mediated error form, colour hue shift, for a far
less objectionable error form, colour saturation level shift.

--
Johnny B Good

And as the level of the burst was similarly reduced a simple AGC

(ACC) circuit can correct the level.

Er, not entirely true. The result was Differential Gain i.e.
subcarrier level varied depending on luminance level? This could not be
corrected by burst level.

--

Chris