projecting an image

Old April 3rd 15, 05:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default projecting an image

I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Old April 3rd 15, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Andrew Mawson

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Google 'camera obscura'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

Andrew
Old April 3rd 15, 05:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Google 'camera obscura'

The problem is finding a lens of suitable focal length. This isn't the
method I'm half remembering anyway.

Old April 3rd 15, 09:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Capitol

Bill Wright wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Google 'camera obscura'

The problem is finding a lens of suitable focal length. This isn't the
method I'm half remembering anyway.

Bill

It doesn't use a lens, it's a pinhole camera.
Old April 4th 15, 03:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Capitol wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Google 'camera obscura'

The problem is finding a lens of suitable focal length. This isn't the
method I'm half remembering anyway.

Bill

It doesn't use a lens, it's a pinhole camera.

There's no way it would be bright enough, unless I did it by sunlight
and rigged up a darkroom. Too much hassle. A large lens would mean I
could do it indoors.

The camera obscura as used by artists used lenses once they were available.

Old April 4th 15, 11:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 04:37:53 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Capitol wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Google 'camera obscura'

The problem is finding a lens of suitable focal length. This isn't the
method I'm half remembering anyway.

Bill

It doesn't use a lens, it's a pinhole camera.

There's no way it would be bright enough, unless I did it by sunlight
and rigged up a darkroom. Too much hassle. A large lens would mean I
could do it indoors.

The camera obscura as used by artists used lenses once they were available.

Bill

The large camera obscura in Edinburgh uses lenses.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old April 3rd 15, 10:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

The problem with those is that they need a parabolic surface to project on
at least the ill fated one in Eastbourne did.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old April 3rd 15, 05:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_2_]

Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have a
60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out and
the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

See if you can find an old epidiascope.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidiascope. It can project an image of an
opaque image (like a page of a book or a drawing on paper).

Used to be a lovely old one in my old anatomy lecture theatre.

Tim
Old April 3rd 15, 05:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_2_]

Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have a
60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out and
the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Here you go. ;-)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251893650350

They're very simple "machines". Would make a good DIY project.

Tim

Tim
Old April 3rd 15, 05:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
michael adams[_4_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint it on the
board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I have some
transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft
but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be
annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or
something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

You don't say what the relative sizes are, but you could scale
up the image using grids. Draw a grid on the image and a
proportionally larger grid on the board which will show you
where the outlines cross so as to keep it on proportion

or lash up a pantograph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph

using some pieces of timber. Which just needs a two pencil
sized holes - one to trace and one to draw, and holes drilled
to take the pivots where the arms cross.

michael adams