Digital TV Banter

Digital TV Banter (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   projecting an image (https://www.digitaltvbanter.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34141)

Bill Wright[_2_] April 3rd 15 05:25 PM

projecting an image

I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Andrew Mawson April 3rd 15 05:30 PM

projecting an image

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Google 'camera obscura'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

Andrew

Tim+[_2_] April 3rd 15 05:41 PM

projecting an image

Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have a
60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out and
the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

See if you can find an old epidiascope.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidiascope. It can project an image of an
opaque image (like a page of a book or a drawing on paper).

Used to be a lovely old one in my old anatomy lecture theatre.

Tim

Tim+[_2_] April 3rd 15 05:44 PM

projecting an image

Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have a
60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out and
the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Here you go. ;-)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251893650350

They're very simple "machines". Would make a good DIY project.

Tim

Tim

Bill Wright[_2_] April 3rd 15 05:57 PM

projecting an image

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Google 'camera obscura'

The problem is finding a lens of suitable focal length. This isn't the
method I'm half remembering anyway.

Bill

michael adams[_4_] April 3rd 15 05:58 PM

projecting an image

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint it on the
board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I have some
transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft
but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be
annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror or
something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

You don't say what the relative sizes are, but you could scale
up the image using grids. Draw a grid on the image and a
proportionally larger grid on the board which will show you
where the outlines cross so as to keep it on proportion

or lash up a pantograph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph

using some pieces of timber. Which just needs a two pencil
sized holes - one to trace and one to draw, and holes drilled
to take the pivots where the arms cross.

michael adams

Roger Mills[_2_] April 3rd 15 06:21 PM

projecting an image

On 03/04/2015 18:25, Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Do you know anyone who would lend you the sort of projector that plugs
into a computer? If so, you could take a digital photo of the image and
then project it from a laptop.
--
Cheers,
Roger

michael adams[_4_] April 3rd 15 06:54 PM

projecting an image

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 03/04/2015 18:25, Bill Wright wrote:
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can
paint it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead
projector. I have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have
a 60 year old 6cm projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out
and the bulb will blow and the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a
mirror or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

Bill

Do you know anyone who would lend you the sort of projector that plugs into a computer?
If so, you could take a digital photo of the image and then project it from a laptop.

On second thoughts...

If possible scan the image

Load it into a DTP or Paint program

Blow it up to the require final size. Or even bigger

Trace around any lines you need as a guide, with a thick black line.

Flood fill the rest with white so as not to waste ink.

If the program has a "poster" printing option, use that.

Otherwise break it into panes manually and print it onto bank
paper. The problem with the transparent medium may be that that is
too thick to press the impression.

Print all the panels out and join them together. Turn it over and trace
over the lines with an B6 or chinagraph pencil. Offer that up to
the board and go over the lines again presing hard same as with old
fashioned tracing.

michael adams

Norman Wells[_6_] April 3rd 15 06:55 PM

projecting an image

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I need to project or otherwise place an image on a wooden board so I can paint
it on the board by using it as a guide. I don't have an overhead projector. I
have some transparent media for a laser printer and I have a 60 year old 6cm
projector in the loft but I don't want to dig it out and the bulb will blow and
the whole thing will be annoying.

Isn't there some way the old painter guys used to do this, just with a mirror
or something?

Come on gentlemen and ladies, ideas?

You need a lens from an old 35mm single lens reflex camera. Mount it, eg in a
hole through another board, so you can securely position it where necessary
between the well-illuminated original and the target board so as to form an
image on it of the right size.

You may need to darken the room, especially if the image you want is large.

michael adams[_4_] April 3rd 15 07:13 PM

projecting an image

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
[...]

The resulting image would be upside down and reversed left-right.

That's where all the mirrors, prisms and all the rest of the
tricky stuff comes in.

michael adams