Idea

Old February 20th 15, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Idea

I think the old TVs that used a mirror to reflect the picture exchanged the
polarity of connections to the horizontal and vertical scanning coils so the
picture was back-to-front and upside-down on the screen which made it the
right way round in the mirror.

But a complex array of mirrors to achieve this is a much more steam-punk
solution :-)

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
You would need two mirrors if you wanted the screen the right way around
so you could read the tubsitles.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David" wrote in message
On 19/02/2015 14:16, Bill Wright wrote:
Since there isn't room for a loudspeaker on the front of many modern TV
sets, maybe we should turn the set to face the wall and watch via a
mirror . . .

Bill

Maybe use mirrors to reflect the sounds rather than turn TV round.
Regards
David

Old February 20th 15, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article , you say...

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:16:16 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:00:39 +0000, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:47:40 -0000, madge
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:54:42 -0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I expect they had to stand on their heads to watch it, but I imagine
the sound, mono of course, was still the right way up. Must have been
a bit awkward!

The picture on the Cathode Ray Tube was appropriately aligned so that the
reflection you watched was correctly displayed. Laser/chip displays (DLP
and MEMS) work the same way with minature mirrors .

It was a way of accommodating the long cathode ray tubes then
available, without having a piece of furniture that stuck out too far
into the room. However, it did have the limitation that you had to sit
directly in front of it to see the picture properly and in its
entirety, which meant you all had to cuddle up. Very cozy!

I saw one of those sets with a vertical CRT many decades ago. It wasn't
in use. The owner kept it as a personal and historical souvenir.

There are some - but a very small number! - still working. If they come up
for sale, they command very high prices and are not cheap to keep going!

Here is one such model:

Terry
Old February 20th 15, 10:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

madge wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:54:42 -0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

I expect they had to stand on their heads to watch it, but I imagine
the sound, mono of course, was still the right way up. Must have
been a bit awkward!

The picture on the Cathode Ray Tube was appropriately aligned so that
the reflection you watched was correctly displayed. Laser/chip
displays (DLP and MEMS) work the same way with minature mirrors .

We once had a hand-held Sony that used this principle. I could never
work out how it managed to show a properly-shaped image at such a
shallow angle, with a curved mirror.

--
Davey.
Old February 20th 15, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
christopher_robin

On 19/02/2015 14:16, Bill Wright wrote:
Since there isn't room for a loudspeaker on the front of many modern TV
sets, maybe we should turn the set to face the wall and watch via a
mirror . . .

Bill

This should help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-reversing_mirror

But get some practice in before you use one for wet-shaving! :-)