Unable to get correct aspect ratio, Sky News

Old February 16th 15, 11:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry[_3_]

Default Unable to get correct aspect ratio, Sky News

My gym has a couple of large wall-mounted TVs. (Sorry, I should have
checked make and model.) I asked them a week ago if they could correct
the niggling problem that the bottom scrolling captions were never
fully visible, and the sides were cut off too. ('TAX AVOIDANCE'
becomes 'VOIDANCE', etc.)

Today I found that the scrolling was now visible, but the edges were
still missing. And there's a pronounced squashing, so that everyone
looks fattish.

The manager duly produced the remote control and to my surprise I
found she was correct in saying that this was the best they could do.
I tried each of the presets myself and NONE of them gave a correct
result.

The only way to see everything being transmitted was, I think, with
the 'FULL' button - but that produced a picture pretty well identical
to the 14:9 setting as far as I could tell. IOW, with large empty side
bars.

This puzzles me greatly. Anyone have any idea what might be causing
this please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old February 16th 15, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 16/02/2015 12:46, Terry wrote:
[...]

The Sky box that is feeding the TVs has probably been set to 4:3 centre
cut out. There is nothing you can do to the TVs to correct this, you
need to access the box, and set that for 16:9 output

--
Mark
Old February 16th 15, 02:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

The Sky box that is feeding the TVs has probably been set to 4:3 centre
cut out. There is nothing you can do to the TVs to correct this, you
need to access the box, and set that for 16:9 output

Assuming they are fed from a Sky box, which seems very likely.

Old February 16th 15, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Mark Carver wrote:

The Sky box that is feeding the TVs has probably been set to 4:3
centre cut out. There is nothing you can do to the TVs to correct
this, you need to access the box, and set that for 16:9 output

Assuming they are fed from a Sky box, which seems very likely.

Curious that. We were staying at the Mercure at Livingston last week
and the TV in the bar had exactly the same problem. When I had a chat
with the supervisor she confided that they did not officially have Sky
News. I fetched my tablet and had a look at Sky News on line via the
hotel's free wifi and lo and behold the TV was actually behind (i.e.
delayed) relative to my tablet - just the same as the room TV. Said
room TV is network fed which must add some delay in the up and down
conversion process so I can only assume that the PC feeding this TV
had its video settings incorrect.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old February 17th 15, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

[...]

"Full" should be 16:9.

Are the pictures being relayed from a central receiver (eg, a Sky box)
which has the aspect ratio simply set wrong?
Old February 17th 15, 07:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

Mark Carver wrote:

The Sky box that is feeding the TVs has probably been set to 4:3
centre cut out. There is nothing you can do to the TVs to correct
this, you need to access the box, and set that for 16:9 output

Assuming they are fed from a Sky box, which seems very likely.

Curious that. We were staying at the Mercure at Livingston last week
and the TV in the bar had exactly the same problem. When I had a chat
with the supervisor she confided that they did not officially have Sky
News. I fetched my tablet and had a look at Sky News on line via the
hotel's free wifi and lo and behold the TV was actually behind (i.e.
delayed) relative to my tablet - just the same as the room TV. Said
room TV is network fed which must add some delay in the up and down
conversion process so I can only assume that the PC feeding this TV
had its video settings incorrect.

Sky News is FTA, isn't it?

Old February 18th 15, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 16 February 2015 12:45:14 UTC, Terry wrote:
[...]

Are they Philips. I bought one of these in 2009 and external 4:3 pictures were expanded and the top and bottom cropped as you describe. After two fruitless updates, Philips decided this was correct operation. I sent a photo of it and an LG side by side and Richer Sounds (who were cc:ed in) asked me to bring it back and stopped selling Philips for nearly three years.

OTOH these days Sky News and most else are 16:9, so it is probably the box that needs configuring.