Freeview Play... WHY!

Old February 15th 15, 09:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Freeview Play... WHY!

On 14/02/15 11:17, Jon wrote:

Freeview Play will add connected services to the mix so that, within the
EPG you will be able to scroll backwards through the last seven days of
programming and select shows to watch streamed over the internet that
you might have missed.

Will that be /all/ programmes?

At present, There are numerous programmes which are "not available" when
you look for them on the internet. It's annoying to find you've missed
something or forgot to record it, and there's still no way of viewing
it. on an OD website.

--

Jeff
Old February 15th 15, 11:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
tim.....

"J.B.Treadstone" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:17:17 +0000, Jon wrote:

What is Freeview Play, when is it coming and how can I get it?

cut

Freeview Play will add connected services to the mix so that, within the
EPG you will be able to scroll backwards through the last seven days of
programming and select shows to watch streamed over the internet that you
might have missed.
--------------------

With SO many repeats, repeats, repeats, I have to ask WHY?
WTF is the point?

not everything gets repeated

Current affairs for example

and to a predictable timetable, science documentaries don't

tim

Old February 15th 15, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
tim.....

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 14/02/15 11:17, Jon wrote:

Freeview Play will add connected services to the mix so that, within the
EPG you will be able to scroll backwards through the last seven days of
programming and select shows to watch streamed over the internet that
you might have missed.

Will that be /all/ programmes?

no of course not

it will suffer from the same "couldn't care less" attitude that iPlayer does

tim

Old February 15th 15, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Davey

On 14/02/15 11:17, Jon wrote:

Freeview Play will add connected services to the mix so that,
within the EPG you will be able to scroll backwards through the
last seven days of programming and select shows to watch streamed
over the internet that you might have missed.

Will that be /all/ programmes?

no of course not

it will suffer from the same "couldn't care less" attitude that
iPlayer does

tim

I thought that iPlayer's attitude was: "If it works fine, then we'll
change it pronto".
And send Linux users going round in circles trying to find information.

--
Davey.
Old February 15th 15, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Johny B Good[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 08:34:30 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , Anth
wrote:

"J.B.Treadstone" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:17:17 +0000, Jon wrote:

What is Freeview Play, when is it coming and how can I get it?

cut

Freeview Play will add connected services to the mix so that, within
the EPG you will be able to scroll backwards through the last seven
days of programming and select shows to watch streamed over the
internet that you might have missed. --------------------

With SO many repeats, repeats, repeats, I have to ask WHY? WTF is the
point?

I'd also like to know 'what are the 39 steps'?

they lead down to a German boat

I just googled[1] that film title and the correct answer is given by
Mr Memory as:-

"The 39 Steps is an organisation of spies, collecting information on
behalf of the Foreign Office of ..."

Before being shot.

[1] I'm glad Idid because I had it in my head that it was the final
flight(s) of stairs into the Big Ben clock room at Westminster palace,
which might also possibly be true in the later remake of the classic
Hitchcock movie.
--
J B Good
Old February 15th 15, 05:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Java Jive[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 15:44:35 +0000, Johny B Good
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 08:34:30 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , Anth
wrote:

I'd also like to know 'what are the 39 steps'?

they lead down to a German boat

Correct. In the original book, by John Buchan, which I have recently
reread, they were in Kent, near 'Bradgate' (the latter name may or may
not be fictitious, possibly a reference to Margate, but I haven't
actually bothered to check this point out).

I just googled[1] that film title and the correct answer is given by
Mr Memory as:-

"The 39 Steps is an organisation of spies, collecting information on
behalf of the Foreign Office of ..."

Before being shot.

[1] I'm glad Idid because I had it in my head that it was the final
flight(s) of stairs into the Big Ben clock room at Westminster palace,
which might also possibly be true in the later remake of the classic
Hitchcock movie.

No, as above they were in Kent.

I have to say, unusually, that, on rereading, I thought just about
even less of the book than I had of any of the film versions.

In the past I had believed that these unrealistic scenarios - of one
man against the world, and still he wins - were entirely of the
creation of the film industry, but now I realise that they actually
began in literature. If you want an even more unbelievable example,
read "Prester John", by the same author. I can definitely recall that
this was a set book for English Literature at one or other of the
schools I attended, but cannot now remember which, or how old I was at
the time - the English may be fine enough, but the tale is just not
believable to anyone of any real experience of the world.

And in fact Buchan himself cynically and deliberately wrote in such a
fashion ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Nine_Steps
.... "The novel was his first "shocker", as he called it a story
combining personal and political dramas. The novel marked a turning
point in Buchan's literary career and introduced his famous
adventuring hero, Richard Hannay. He described a "shocker" as an
adventure where the events in the story are unlikely and the reader is
only just able to believe that they really happened"

.... or not believe, in my case.
UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556
Old February 15th 15, 05:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
PeeGee

On 15/02/15 09:30, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/02/15 11:17, Jon wrote:

Freeview Play will add connected services to the mix so that, within the
EPG you will be able to scroll backwards through the last seven days of
programming and select shows to watch streamed over the internet that
you might have missed.

Will that be /all/ programmes?

At present, There are numerous programmes which are "not available" when
you look for them on the internet. It's annoying to find you've missed
something or forgot to record it, and there's still no way of viewing
it. on an OD website.

Even the ones they "Trailer" a day or so after as being on select
catch-up "channel", especially if it requires a viewer IQ 49.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old February 15th 15, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Java Jive[_2_]

Actually, it seems it was Broadstairs, where I went to school:
http://bygonekent.org.uk/article/buc...rty-nine-steps

Old February 16th 15, 11:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.media.tv.misc
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Java Jive wrote:
I have to say, unusually, that, on rereading, I thought just about
even less of the book than I had of any of the film versions.

As an Alan Bennet character memorably says, "Sapper, Buchan, Dornford
Yates, practitioners in that school of Snobbery with Violence that
runs like a thread of good-class tweed through twentieth-century
literature."

Dornford Yates is much the most unpleasant of the three.

-- Richard