What TV recording kit do I need?

Old February 8th 15, 10:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lobster

Default What TV recording kit do I need?

I'm a bit bewildered by the various options available. Currently have
Virgin Tivo, but it doesn't permit streaming around the house which is
what I want.

I also have a NAS box (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2) on to which I can save
downloaded video files, which I can them view on any one of three TVs,
all of which are either smart TVs or ethernet-connected via a streaming
box.

So, basically, I want the same functionality for recorded broadcast HD
TV (ie Freeview). Ideally (but not an absolute must) I'd record on to
the NAS box; but whatever, the system must have a family-friendly user
interface, and be able to record series links etc like Tivo.

A nice-to-have would be the ability to edit recorded video files.

So what do I need? A dedicated media PC? A standalone PVR? Nothing
too complex - I don't speak Linux, for example, and I panic when I see
words like 'mux' and 'kernel'.

My ideal solution would have been to convert my NAS box into PVR using a
USB stick (http://www.readynas.com/?p=6658); however, having searched
forums etc a couple of years ago about that, every user seemed to have
massive problems setting it up and looked far too rocket-sciency for me
to even think about attempting.

Thanks for any tips

--
David
Old February 10th 15, 12:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lobster

Wot, not a single thought on the matter, anyone?! It's surely not a
particularly unusual specification?

On 08 Feb 2015, Lobster grunted:

Old February 10th 15, 09:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Taylor[_2_]

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 00:44:05 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

[...]

I rather think that the reason that you've had no answers is in your
question. You want to do some complicated things, but you want

"Nothing too complex"

AFAIK there is no simple answer to your question.

I use NPVR, a PC based recording program which can be used as a
client/server for streaming, or you can use other methods of accessing
the files. Here they are played from JRiver media centre on the main
screen and AirVideo server to stream to tablets.

They're not amazingly difficult to set up, but need a bit of effort.

There are lots of other ways to do it, but I don't know of any that
are simple.
Old February 11th 15, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Lobster

On 10 Feb 2015, Bill Taylor grunted:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply.

Point taken - if so, though, it would be good to understand what the
limit factor(s) are (hence my use of 'ideally', 'nice-to-have' etc)
Storing the files on a NAS? Having a family-friendly user interface?
Wanting streaming around the house? etc. Eg, does it mean that if I
were to buy any sort of off-the-shelf PVR I couldn't stream it to other
TVs? (with or without remote control of said PVR?)

Thanks

--
David