A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

"Book Me" +green dot.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 22nd 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

It is a 3 week old Samsung smart TV UE55HU7500.

Any ideas?
A Samsung fault or a BBC fault?
Thanks
David
  #2  
Old January 22nd 15, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David Taylor[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?


Googling 'Freeview "Book Me"' seems to explain it well enough.

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.


Staying on forever sounds like a fault, it should go away at the end
of the promo.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.


It's supposed to happen.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.


I would be very concerned that they have never heard of something which
has been around for years.

--
David Taylor
  #3  
Old January 22nd 15, 01:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 385
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 22/01/2015 13:35, David Taylor wrote:
On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?


Googling 'Freeview "Book Me"' seems to explain it well enough.

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.


Staying on forever sounds like a fault, it should go away at the end
of the promo.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.


It's supposed to happen.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.


I would be very concerned that they have never heard of something which
has been around for years.

Thank you.

I'm new to Freeview HD up to now been only Freesat HD this TV has both.

I have been using Google but for "Book Me" and Green Dot, which had not
helped me.
Adding Freeview as you suggest gets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/re...eeview-a.shtml

Have noted it says for Recorders I'm getting it on a TV, will the effect
of pressing Green RC button get me a reminder the program is staring
just as I do if I had marked a program on the EPG earlier?

Just seen a set of 3 BBC program promos on now the "Book Me" only
appeared on one of them.

Do you think yesterday and last weekend when the "Book Me" stayed on all
the time untill TV switch off at mains was a BBC fault or my TV fault?

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

Thanks
David

  #4  
Old January 22nd 15, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Tim+[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 83
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

David wrote:
On 22/01/2015 13:35, David Taylor wrote:
On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?


Googling 'Freeview "Book Me"' seems to explain it well enough.

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.


Staying on forever sounds like a fault, it should go away at the end
of the promo.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.


It's supposed to happen.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.


I would be very concerned that they have never heard of something which
has been around for years.

Thank you.

I'm new to Freeview HD up to now been only Freesat HD this TV has both.

I have been using Google but for "Book Me" and Green Dot, which had not helped me.
Adding Freeview as you suggest gets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/re...eeview-a.shtml

Have noted it says for Recorders I'm getting it on a TV, will the effect
of pressing Green RC button get me a reminder the program is staring just
as I do if I had marked a program on the EPG earlier?

Just seen a set of 3 BBC program promos on now the "Book Me" only appeared on one of them.

Do you think yesterday and last weekend when the "Book Me" stayed on all
the time untill TV switch off at mains was a BBC fault or my TV fault?

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a traffic
announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it not return to Radio 2?

Thanks
David


It's likely that your TV supports recording to a memory device like a USB
stick or hard drive. Does your remote have a "record" button? If so, the
green dot is visible because your TV can potentially record programs.

Tim
  #5  
Old January 22nd 15, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,272
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:25:55 +0000, Tim+
wrote:

David wrote:
On 22/01/2015 13:35, David Taylor wrote:
On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?

Googling 'Freeview "Book Me"' seems to explain it well enough.

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.

Staying on forever sounds like a fault, it should go away at the end
of the promo.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.

It's supposed to happen.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

I would be very concerned that they have never heard of something which
has been around for years.

Thank you.

I'm new to Freeview HD up to now been only Freesat HD this TV has both.

I have been using Google but for "Book Me" and Green Dot, which had not helped me.
Adding Freeview as you suggest gets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/re...eeview-a.shtml

Have noted it says for Recorders I'm getting it on a TV, will the effect
of pressing Green RC button get me a reminder the program is staring just
as I do if I had marked a program on the EPG earlier?

Just seen a set of 3 BBC program promos on now the "Book Me" only appeared on one of them.

Do you think yesterday and last weekend when the "Book Me" stayed on all
the time untill TV switch off at mains was a BBC fault or my TV fault?

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a traffic
announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it not return to Radio 2?

Thanks
David


It's likely that your TV supports recording to a memory device like a USB
stick or hard drive. Does your remote have a "record" button? If so, the
green dot is visible because your TV can potentially record programs.

I have seen the "Book Me" message on TVs which have a schedule facility
(no recording ability). That is you can select a future programme in the
EPG and press OK to schedule it. When the time comes the TV will switch
to that programme.

I have never used the "Book Me" green dot, but I assume that it will add
the programme to the schedule.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #6  
Old January 22nd 15, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,633
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 22/01/2015 14:50, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I have never used the "Book Me" green dot, but I assume that it will add
the programme to the schedule.



It does. It's been on Sky's system for quite a while, Freeview are just
playing 'catch up' (no pun intended !) I've only seen on You View
recorders, not seen it on my telly's own tuner (yet !)


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #7  
Old January 22nd 15, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
SimonM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 22/01/15 14:25, Tim+ wrote:

It's likely that your TV supports recording to a memory device like a USB
stick or hard drive. Does your remote have a "record" button? If so, the
green dot is visible because your TV can potentially record programs.

Tim


It's far more likely that pressing green in that
context sends "appointment" data to an external
recorder via the control channel of an HDMI port.

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales
droid assured us it could record to USB. This was
completely untrue. It will play lots of formats
that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they
wouldn't sell recorders afterwards.

It's the same with the audio control offered by
"digital amplifiers" If you want adjustable delay,
or audio mute, etc, you won't get it on the SPDIF
output. No, Sir has to buy an amplifier with HDMI
inputs...

  #8  
Old January 22nd 15, 06:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,633
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 22/01/2015 16:53, SimonM wrote:

It's far more likely that pressing green in that context sends
"appointment" data to an external recorder via the control channel of an
HDMI port.

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales droid assured us it
could record to USB. This was completely untrue. It will play lots of
formats that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.


My Sony does, I've not actually tried a USB stick, but it certainly
records to a portable HDD via the USB interface.


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #9  
Old January 22nd 15, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Indy Jess John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,307
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

On 22/01/2015 16:53, SimonM wrote:

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales
droid assured us it could record to USB. This was
completely untrue. It will play lots of formats
that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they
wouldn't sell recorders afterwards.


My LG television records to a USB hard drive provided that I use a
specific USB port and I allow the TV to format the disc before first use.

Windows won't then recognise the disc as anything other than
"unformatted". Linux will read the disc but I can't make any logical
sense of the folder structure or file names, and my version of Linux
Mint doesn't know what to open the files with.

The TV will play back its own recordings and will delete such recordings
when instructed to.

Jim
  #10  
Old January 23rd 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 298
Default "Book Me" +green dot.

In message , SimonM
writes:
[]
When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales droid assured us it
could record to USB. This was completely untrue. It will play lots of
formats that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.


(Have you been back for a refund, or partial one?)

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they wouldn't sell
recorders afterwards.

[]
Some of the smaller sets (of which, among high street shops, Maplin seem
to be the only one to sell them; anywhere else you're unlikely to find
less than a 19") _do_ have this facility, though you have to read the
specs very carefully, as more (if not most) do have USB connectivity,
but as SimonM says only for playback. (In fact I think there may only be
one 7" model and one 10" that have record-to-USB ability.)

(Unfortunately, most of these sets - like their less portable cousins -
don't have any more sensitivity, meaning their apparent portability
isn't, except in very strong signal areas.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"He hasn't one redeeming vice." - Oscar Wilde
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.