"Book Me" +green dot.

Old January 22nd 15, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

It is a 3 week old Samsung smart TV UE55HU7500.

Any ideas?
A Samsung fault or a BBC fault?
Thanks
David
Old January 22nd 15, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David Taylor[_2_]

On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

What is this message please?

Googling 'Freeview "Book Me"' seems to explain it well enough.

I got it at the same time yesterday and it stayed on until I
disconnected the mains for a few minutes, nothing else I tried would get
rid of it.

Staying on forever sounds like a fault, it should go away at the end
of the promo.

History is it was doing this last weekend but I did not note when it
actually occurred, but on Monday I rang Samsung Support who said they
had a cure for it, they took control of TV over via the internet and
reset to factory defaults and made a change in the engineering menu I
was told. I was assured it would not reoccur but it as.

It's supposed to happen.

Have phoned supplier Richer Sounds who are very concerned and their own
engineer will be contacting me. It is something they have not heard of.

I would be very concerned that they have never heard of something which
has been around for years.

--
David Taylor
Old January 22nd 15, 01:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]

On 22/01/2015 13:35, David Taylor wrote:
On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

I'm new to Freeview HD up to now been only Freesat HD this TV has both.

I have been using Google but for "Book Me" and Green Dot, which had not
helped me.
Adding Freeview as you suggest gets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/re...eeview-a.shtml

Have noted it says for Recorders I'm getting it on a TV, will the effect
of pressing Green RC button get me a reminder the program is staring
just as I do if I had marked a program on the EPG earlier?

Just seen a set of 3 BBC program promos on now the "Book Me" only
appeared on one of them.

Do you think yesterday and last weekend when the "Book Me" stayed on all
the time untill TV switch off at mains was a BBC fault or my TV fault?

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

Thanks
David

Old January 22nd 15, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Tim+[_2_]

On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
[...]

It's likely that your TV supports recording to a memory device like a USB
stick or hard drive. Does your remote have a "record" button? If so, the
green dot is visible because your TV can potentially record programs.

Tim
Old January 22nd 15, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Peter Duncanson

On 2015-01-22, David wrote:
[...]

I have seen the "Book Me" message on TVs which have a schedule facility
(no recording ability). That is you can select a future programme in the
EPG and press OK to schedule it. When the time comes the TV will switch
to that programme.

I have never used the "Book Me" green dot, but I assume that it will add
the programme to the schedule.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 22nd 15, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 22/01/2015 14:12, David wrote:

Do you think yesterday and last weekend when the "Book Me" stayed on all
the time untill TV switch off at mains was a BBC fault or my TV fault?

I guess it's a TV fault - otherwise lots of other people with smart TVs
and PVRs would have noticed it - and no-one here appears to have done so.

Like when I have Radio 2 on in the car and Radio Humberside put a
traffic announcement out and Radio Humbersides programs stay on and it
not return to Radio 2?

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the appropriate
flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 22nd 15, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver

On 22/01/2015 14:50, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I have never used the "Book Me" green dot, but I assume that it will add
the programme to the schedule.

It does. It's been on Sky's system for quite a while, Freeview are just
playing 'catch up' (no pun intended !) I've only seen on You View
recorders, not seen it on my telly's own tuner (yet !)

--
Mark
Old January 22nd 15, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
SimonM

On 22/01/15 14:25, Tim+ wrote:

It's likely that your TV supports recording to a memory device like a USB
stick or hard drive. Does your remote have a "record" button? If so, the
green dot is visible because your TV can potentially record programs.

Tim

It's far more likely that pressing green in that
context sends "appointment" data to an external
recorder via the control channel of an HDMI port.

When we bought our Panasonic recently, the sales
droid assured us it could record to USB. This was
completely untrue. It will play lots of formats
that are given to it via USB, but recording - no.

TV manufacturers don't provide that because they
wouldn't sell recorders afterwards.

It's the same with the audio control offered by
"digital amplifiers" If you want adjustable delay,
or audio mute, etc, you won't get it on the SPDIF
output. No, Sir has to buy an amplifier with HDMI
inputs...

Old January 22nd 15, 04:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
David[_9_]

On 22/01/2015 16:03, Roger Mills wrote:
On 22/01/2015 14:12, David wrote:

No. That's usually the radio station forgetting to reset the appropriate
flag at the end of the traffic interrupt.

Yes then the BBC fault.
Regards
David
Old January 22nd 15, 04:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Max Demian

"David" wrote in message
At 12:59 today Freeview 101 BBC1 HD from Emley Moor during promos before
1pm news at the top right hand corner of screen "Book Me" followed by a
Green Dot appeared for a minute.

If you press Green to get rid of the red dot, how do you get rid of a green
dot?

Sounds like the 'related programme' feature on my PVR, which you get when
you are setting up a programme to record later.

--
Max Demian