"Book Me" +green dot.

Old February 4th 15, 08:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
tony sayer

Default "Book Me" +green dot.

In article , Paul Ratcliffe
scribeth thus
On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 11:46:35 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Some stations use in band signalling, but using sub-audible tones

Sub audible tones?, do tell never heard of those in Broadcast systems.

Something like 20Hz in the S signal if my memory serves (increasingly
unlikely with time).

Lack of the "off" trigger is the one that causes the trouble of course as
you would never know about missing the "on" trigger.

You should have a timer on the RDS system to cope with that else it
could be on for a year and a day;!.

Do try and keep up at the back. There is and always has been one.

Not on all systems there hasn't..

Might be so on BBC radio but not the case elsewhere..
--
Tony Sayer

Old February 4th 15, 11:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Paul Ratcliffe
writes:
On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 23:10:24 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

It should usually time out after (something like) 3 minutes, though I'm
not sure if that is implemented in the transmitter or the receiver.

Neither. There is a timeout at the station end equipment and in London.

Ah, so in effect it _is_ in the transmitter (assuming that's what you
mean by "the station end equipment") - i. e. the traffic flag stops
being sent after 3 minutes.

It depends what you mean by transmitter. I mean the big lump of metalwork
or similar on top a hill somewhere, not the orginating studio building.

Ah, a distinction that it is quite valid to make in u.t.b.. But to
answer what I didn't know in the above quote, what you're saying is that
the timeout is _not_ implemented in the (i. e. my) receiver.

(If by "London" you mean the station switched _from_, e. g. Radio 4,

No I don't. I mean the place where some of the equipment/software is.

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." - Harlan Ellison
Old February 5th 15, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Mark Carver

On 05/02/2015 00:52, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Ah, so in effect it _is_ in the transmitter (assuming that's what you
mean by "the station end equipment") - i. e. the traffic flag stops
being sent after 3 minutes.

It depends what you mean by transmitter. I mean the big lump of metalwork
or similar on top a hill somewhere, not the orginating studio building.

Ah, a distinction that it is quite valid to make in u.t.b.. But to
answer what I didn't know in the above quote, what you're saying is that
the timeout is _not_ implemented in the (i. e. my) receiver.

No, the timeout (when there is one), is implemented by the broadcaster.
In the Beeb's case by the central national RDS server at BH. That's not
to say some manufacturers could/do implement a timeout within the
receiver though, but I doubt any do ?

--
Mark
Old February 5th 15, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast
Paul Ratcliffe

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 00:52:46 +0000, J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

Ah, so in effect it _is_ in the transmitter (assuming that's what you
mean by "the station end equipment") - i. e. the traffic flag stops
being sent after 3 minutes.

It depends what you mean by transmitter. I mean the big lump of metalwork
or similar on top a hill somewhere, not the orginating studio building.

Ah, a distinction that it is quite valid to make in u.t.b.. But to
answer what I didn't know in the above quote, what you're saying is that
the timeout is _not_ implemented in the (i. e. my) receiver.

The timeout is not implemented in the receiver, correct.